Floyd simply the best in C-USA

Senior Ebonie Floyd is strictly a sprinter, but she’s learned to jump hurdles in her personal life. That perseverance has propelled her to the distinction of being named the Conference USA Track and Field Female Athlete of the Year for the second year in a row.

Floyd, who received news of the accolade Monday, capped her impressive collegiate career with a second-place finish in the 100-meter dash at this year’s NCAA Championships. She also finished third in the 200.

Floyd almost sat out the latter race because of shin splints incurred in the 100, but decided to compete at the last minute.

"God is blessing me right now because there’s been times when I could have just stopped, but it’s always been something in me to keep wanting to run," Floyd said.

Floyd, who graduated in May with a degree in psychology, started out her career with huge promise when she was named the 2003 C-USA Freshman of the Year.

After that breakout campaign, Floyd sat out the next two seasons with redshirts. The first came after an accident killed her younger sister and left Floyd with a fractured foot and injured muscles. In 2005, she had to postpone her comeback while awaiting the birth of her son.

Now that her collegiate career is finished, Floyd plans to work with an agent on getting endorsement deals, and continue training for the 2008 Olympics.

"Sometimes things happen to people and they don’t get a second chance," Floyd said. "I’m extremely happy and thank God everyday that he put me in the position I am now."

Bentley honored by C-USA Freshman pole vaulter Alex Bentley was named the 2007 Conference USA Male Newcomer of the Year on Friday.

The honor highlights a breakout season for Bentley, who won the pole vault competitions at both indoor and outdoor C-USA Championships.