UH nabs trio of talented swimmers

UH swimming and diving head coach Mark Taylor announced the signing of three swimmers Wednesday.

Andrea Kells from Hunting Hills High School in Red Deer, Alberta, Brittany Copeland from Wakefield High School in Raleigh, N.C. and Paige Bissett from Rumson Fair-Haven High School in Rumson, N.J. will join the team this fall.

Kells, who also played volleyball and basketball at her Canadian high school, is projected to participate in butterfly competitions next season.

Copeland, who was a team captain at Wakefield, is expected to participate in freestroke and backstroke events.

Bissett, a four-time All-Shore First-Team honoree, capped her high school career at the Monmouth County and Shore Conference, finishing as champion in the 100-yard backstroke, 200 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay.

All three signees have had impressive showings in their previous swimming competitions.

In the last two seasons, Kells qualified for the finals at the Western Canadian Championship. She was also a 2006-07 Provincial Senior Championship medalist.

During her high school career, Copeland was an all-conference performer and was able to obtain the conference championship in the 50-yard freestyle.

The three will join freshmen divers Courtney Forcucci from Fort Mill High School in Fort Mill, S.C. and Lacey Truelove from H.B. Beal High School in London, Ontario, who were signed last week.