MFAH spices it up with tropical flavor

Museum goers had a taste of Brazil on Wednesday when the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston held Rhythms of Life, a blend of art, dance and music performed by the Brazilian Arts Foundation.

The general theme of the night, Artistic Director Mauricio Campos said, was unity.

"The best part about show is that everybody is coming together to have a performance like this, and sharing the Brazilian culture," he said.

Members of the Brazilian Arts Foundation performed a number of Brazilian dances, such as Capoeira and samba, and the set up of these visuals was one of the highlights of the night. Before each live performance a brief video showing the history of the dance was shown, educating the audience on a history many were undoubtedly unfamiliar with. After the video, the performers stepped onto the stage accompanied by instruments.

Capoeira was one of the first dances performed, and the audience learned that it was not only a form of martial arts, but a form of worship as well. One of the most intricate performances seen was that of the Puxada de Rede, a dance performed by fishermen that is rich with poetry and religion.

The introduction to the dance, Capoeira Regional, was surprising: a young boy emerged from the back of the room, behind the audience, and played his instrument while walking to the stage, where he was later joined by older performers playing their instruments. After this unique beginning, the performers engaged in Capoeira.

The highlight of the night, however, was the samba. The large amount of people on stage and the several different instruments played illustrated the dance’s distinct vibe.

When the show concluded, Campos expressed gratitude to the performers and to crowd, thanking them for "bringing the rhythm from your life and sharing it with us to enjoy this day."

After the show there was a reception in the hall of the museum where visitors could mingle with the performers and each other. Matias Whitaker, a musician and dancer, said that the best part of performing is the atmosphere of the organization. "I’ve been training Capoeira for almost five years, and through that I was able to learn about Brazil’s other rhythms and culture, and I’ve been playing music for ten years," Whitaker said. "My favorite part of performing is the interaction with the people in the group. It’s like a family, and we all learn from each other."

The entertaining and educational event drew a large crowd.

"We had 295 people in attendance tonight, including the Colombian consulate, so we had a really good turnout," Stage Director Guadalupe Mendez said. "I was surprised this many showed up on a weeknight."

If you weren’t able to be a part of that figure, you can still immerse yourself in Brazilian culture through the different programs offered by the Brazilian Arts Foundation, such as salsa and Capoeira classes. The Foundation will also hold its 7th "Annual International Encounter" from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3. For more information, visit www.brazilianarts.org