Residents: bathroom locks not worth the hassle

Bathroom door locks in Moody Towers implemented in the spring during a period of heightened security have been removed following student opposition.

The locks were initially installed during spring semester after a male sneaked into a women’s bathroom Melissa Abram, a residential education and leadership manager, said.

"Locks were installed on pilot floors (during the spring semester) in the North Tower on the fifth and eighth floors," she said.

Last spring a female Towers resident signed in a man that she did not know, Abram said.

"When a student signs someone in, they are completely responsible for that guest," she said.

Once cleared, the man entered a bathroom on a female-only floor, where a student was showering. The male then approached the female student in an inappropriate way, she said.

The female student filed a police report and the man was apprehended, Abram said.

After the incident, the locks were installed on the bathrooms.

Abram said at the end of the semester Residential Life and Housing conducted a focus group, and the majority of participants were opposed to the locks.

"There were more cons than pros," she said.

Students said that always having their keys on-hand was too much of an inconvenience, which was why the locks were removed, she said.

"I think it’s relatively safe," pharmacy freshman Andre Nguyen said. "Overall, it’s safe on campus."

Since the locks were removed residents of the Towers no longer have to use their room keys to enter the bathrooms.

"I think (the Towers) are safe," biology sophomore Charnae Hooper said. "I’ve stayed here for three semesters now."

Resident meetings have been conducted since the semester started and will continue everyday this week, Abram said.

Additional reporting by Mayra Cruz