UH faces mighty competition

It’ll be exactly two years on Saturday since the last time Oregon came to Robertson Stadium and hit Houston with a 38-24 loss.

The Cougars will have a chance to give Oregon a loss on their home turf this time around when they take on the Ducks on Saturday in Eugene, Ore.

The win by the Ducks in 2005 jump-started Oregon’s season that carried them to a 10-2 season and a trip to the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. On the other side of things, the loss for the Cougars led to a 6-6 season without a bowl appearance.

Since the 2005 season, it’s been the Cougars who have enjoyed a successful season, going 10-4 with a conference title, a Coach of the Year award and a trip to the Liberty Bowl.

The Ducks, on the other hand, faltered to a 7-6 record and multiple injuries.

The Cougars have many questions and concerns coming into the 2007 season, the biggest question being the quarterback battle between sophomore Blake Joseph and redshirt freshman Case Keenum.

"I’m not concerned at all (with the starting job). I know that Coach Briles knows what he’s doing, and I support his decision whatever it is," Keenum said. "I know that we’re both going to get playing time in Oregon. … I know we have two quarterbacks that can play. Each of us brings strengths to the game, and each of us has done a good job so far and I look forward to see what’s going to happen."

Briles has said he would be using both quarterbacks against Oregon, but he doesn’t think it’ll be in just situational plays. Briles said the production on the field may determine who the new quarterback will be.

"We’ll go with a guy and if he stays hot, we’ll stay with him," Briles said. "If he cools off a little bit, we have another one that we have a lot of confidence in."

Another concern is senior wide receiver Donnie Avery’s knee. Avery tweaked his left knee in practice last Thursday when sophomore linebacker Matt Nicholson and Avery collided mid-air. Avery’s knee then buckled when he landed on the turf.

"(My knee) is great. I’m getting the right treatment with (head athletics trainer) Michael O’Shea, and I’ll be ready for game day," Avery said. "I’m 100 percent, and by game time I’ll be 110 percent."

The Oregon game may be the most difficult game to prepare for because the Cougars do not have any film on the current Duck team.

"It is harder to prepare for an opener because you’re kind of rusty, since you haven’t played anyone except your own teammates," junior defensive end Phillip Hunt said. "It’s kind of hard not knowing what kind of offense they run, but we prepared well and I feel good about going into this game."

Though the Ducks put up a mediocre season in 2006, they still managed to lead the Pacific Ten Conference in yards per game (432.2), racked up 182 yards per game on the ground allowing 16 sacks. However, Hunt is confident about their defensive game plan.

"I think we’re going to come out and attack them, play good defense and I don’t think they can handle us," Hunt said. "I feel pretty confident (going up against their offensive line). They’re oversized and I can use my quickness to get around them and use my athleticism to outplay them."

Running back Jonathan Stewart will be one of the Ducks’ main weapons. Stewart compiled over 1,770 all-purpose yards, and head coach Art Briles said their game plan against Stewart is pretty simple.

"When (Stewart) gets the ball, we’re going to tackle him. Don’t make something easy (into something) hard," Briles said. "When he’s carrying the football, we’re going to swarm to him and get on him."

Oregon also has two quarterbacks that can run their offense. Both Dennis Dixon and Brady Leaf can be threats to the Cougars.

"They’re different quarterbacks. Dixon is more of run threat and Leaf is more of the prototypical quarterback – a drop back pocket passer," Briles said. "When they’re in the game, we’ll adjust accordingly with what we think their quarterbacks’ strengths are."

Although it seems like a talented offensive, it’s also not without flaws. The Ducks turned the ball over 32 times last season, and Hunt knows what the game plan is.

"(I need to) get to the quarterback as much as I can and get in his head. Pretty soon it’ll take its toll and they’ll break down," Hunt said.

The Ducks led the Pac-10 in passing yards allowed last season, giving up 173 yards through the air, and Avery knows how good Oregon’s defense can be.

"They have some talented guys (on defense). They have some young cornerbacks, pretty good safeties and linebackers. So we’re going to go out there and play our game and do what we do," Avery said.

Houston will have a tough time in Eugene because the Ducks have won 20 of their last 23 season openers, and under head coach Mike Bellotti, they have compiled a 25-1 non-conference home record. The Cougars on the flipside are 17-40-3 in road openers.

"It’s going to be loud. (There’s) going to be 60,000 people out there screaming," Joseph said. "It’s going to be a fun environment for us. It’s pretty much us against the world. Oregon’s a good team. We’re going up there against a Pac-10 team, but we’re going to go up there and win the game and show what our school’s about."