UHPD offers self-defense training to women

UHPD is offering a free Rape Aggression Defense class to teach female students and staff self-defense with physical and mental training.

Offered since 2004, RAD is a 12-hour course divided into three-hour intervals to teach women how to use their hands, head and feet to protect themselves. Since its inception, RAD has trained 94 students through 11 classes.

"We want them to gain confidence and be successful and to be able to use what they’ve learned from the class," said Lt. Derrick McClinton, who helps teach the class with two other males and three females.

RAD initially focuses on classroom instruction, in which women are advised to observe their surroundings, discuss personal experiences and other safety tips.

Classroom instruction is followed by physical training. Instructors teach students the proper way to kick and punch, as well as other physical skills. Students are taught dominant stances and hand gestures to signal "stop" or "no."

After completing the course, students are presented with the option to observe or participate in a final simulation class.

During the simulation, male instructors dressed in full-protective gear act as aggressors. As aggressors, the instructors provoke students, causing their adrenaline to rise, placing them in a real-life situation, McClinton said.

"There’s a lot of yelling and we say things to (the women) to make them mad," he said.

The simulation is recorded, reviewed and analyzed by instructors so that the student can observe what she did correctly and what she did incorrectly, McClinton said.

"We also allow students to retake the class if they do not feel comfortable with their performance," he said.

The goal of the training and simulation is to empower women and to help them realize their physical power.

The class is available to all female UH students and staff members. The class is also open to friends and family members. Classes usually require a 10-student minimum sign-up in order to be scheduled. They are offered in the afternoons and evenings.

For more information about RAD, McClinton can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 713-743-0593.