Couch Potato: Words fly in reaction, anticipation of fall TV

Every year when Labor Day rolls around it means different things for different people. To students, it often marks the death of a, hopefully, long and leisurely summer. For those who no longer measure their lives in semesters it serves as a reminder of how far workers have come in this country. For television viewers, it means that new programs are on the way and Jerry Lewis is hosting his annual telethon to raise money for muscular dystrophy.

This year, however, in addition to the record-breaking $63.8 million raised for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Lewis raised viewers’ eyebrows and the wrath of the gay community with his utterance of the other "F"-word.

It may be because he had been hosting his telethon at 18 hours by then, it may be because he wanted publicity for himself or his cause, it may be because he wanted to see what an 81-year-old man could get away with on live TV. It could have even been some kind of weird Freudian slip, but none of these pathetic reasons excuse him. The slur seems especially out of place during a charity event and "feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting (the LGBT) community in harm’s way," according to Neil Giuliano, president of the Gay ‘ Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Let’s make Whoopie

As students around the nation kicked off their fall semester Tuesday, Whoopi Goldberg had a great first day as a new co-host for ABC’s The View.

The morning estrogen-fueled program has seen a lot of flack in recent seasons and the roster reads like a game of musical chairs, so it is comforting to see a veteran of ensemble filling in for the combative Rosie O’Donnell and the tabloid favorite Star Jones. ABC is also looking to bring in a fourth co-host before the year is over.

The rumors are true

Speaking of ABC, previews for this season’s most buzz-worthy new program have settled the debate about whether or not the GEICO cavemen would get to make the leap to primetime.

Debuting at 7 p.m. on Oct. 2, Cavemen already has speculation flying. Though critics swear the novelty is dead or that the program would lack substance beyond a few episodes, viewers are intrigued.

And why shouldn’t viewers be intrigued? That the characters originated from an insurance advertising campaign – of all places – and that the idea has gotten this far is miraculous. The theme of people tormented by stereotypes paired with the not necessarily gone novelty of the whole idea ought to be enough to carry the program through its first season without a hitch.

If the cavemen can put their differences aside for just 30 measly minutes a week, there may be hope for harmony among other perennial foes: Jews and Palestinians, Shiites and Sunnis or even Americans and the rest of the world. Give peace a chance and, more importantly, Cavemen.

Not to mention, if we can claim to have learned anything about television, we should all know that people will watch anything