Social networking more influential

We live in a society where social status is almost as important as being an American citizen. Factors such as occupation, education level and income sometimes define a person’s social status.

For example, whether one is in high school or college, a freshman student will always be considered at the bottom of the academic social barrel. In corporate America, a person with a bachelor’s degree will be celebrated more than and considered for hire before someone who only has a high school diploma.

It is an endless cycle of hierarchy and social stature. It is not what you know or what you can do, but who you know and where you come from.

Although a person’s actions, experience and education factor heavily into his or her credibility as a person, the ability to network with influential people can truly help a person succeed in life.

Sometimes we find individuals who positively utilize their influence because they understand what it is to be a person trying to become better equipped and prepared for the world.

On the other hand, sometimes people selfishly use their social status to improve their social stature, or to weasel themselves out of peculiar situations.

Take for example politicians, while their main function is to serve the people, it sometimes seems as if they only serve themselves and their constituents; who are either wealthy or share the same political or religious platform.

Politicians often start their campaigns at a church (even though there is supposed to be a separation of church and state) because they know that the pastor has a sizeable amount of influence over his or her parishioners.

Despite the flaws of American politicians, networking is a valuable tool for them because that puts them in touch with various types of people at any given moment.

The same concept can also pertain to one’s ability to interact with various types of people socially, which is just as beneficial and important as networking with business professionals.

Being a member of an organization gives a student the opportunity to meet people who not only share common interests, but also people that are randomly seen on campus or even in class.

As students at UH, we are surrounded by cultural diversity and organizations that are reflective of our cultural backgrounds and interests.

Being involved with various campus activities or organizations opens a whole world of potential contacts that could lead to future endeavors.

Even establishing a network connection with professors or even teaching assistants would be beneficial to a student because that person can serve as a mentor.

Often times, it is through our professors that we begin or become acquainted with the networking process. You never know when we will need to ask them as a reference when applying for a job or internship.

It is up to us as to how we take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to us and how we utilize them.

Of course not everyone wants to be known as the person who followed someone else, or even had help getting his or her foot in the door. Sometimes we just want our own actions to serve as our ticket into and up the corporate ladder.

Latimer, a post-baccalaureate in English, can be reached via [email protected]