UH Health Center staff advises regular breast exams

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the University Health Center’s staff said they hope more than 100 students, staff and faculty members will come in for free breast exams today and Oct. 17.

The free screenings are available all day and are limited to UH students, faculty and staff. The Health Center has no restrictions and only requires that the patient show a valid picture ID at the front desk.

Since 2004, the Health Center has offered breast exams to the UH community. About 96 people came last year for the free screenings, but they are still available for the rest of the year, Health Center officials said.

"Students can call and schedule an appointment with the Women’s Clinic for a breast exam at any time," Chief Nurse Laura Moore said.

For students, the regular cost for a breast exam is $30. The exam price for faculty members and staff is $35, and they must be seen in the General Medicine Clinic – the Health Center’s walk-in clinic.

Pre-pharmacy sophomore Xavier Livingston, who was screened a month ago, said students should take advantage of the free exams.

"Some people may not be able to afford it, so I think it’s important for them to come in and get checked," she said.

One of her friends was diagnosed with cervical cancer recently. It is important to get screened for every possibility, Livingston said.

"It’s not just for old people. You never know, so it’s important to check for things like that," she said.

The specialty clinics, which specialize in women’s health, men’s health, dermatology, psychiatry, nutrition and orthopedics, are only available by appointment and to students, according to the Health Center’s Web site.

"Faculty and staff cannot be seen in the specialty clinics, other than (on) our free screening days, so if they have a concern at any other time, they can be seen in the General Medicine Clinic, which is a walk-in clinic," Moore said.

Patients do not have to wait for the results of the exam. The findings are given to them "immediately," nurse practitioner Virginia Miller said.

If the Health Center staff has any concerns, the patient is given a referral to other medical facilities, she said. If the patient is older than 40, the staff will refer them for a mammogram, and if the patient is younger than 40, they are referred for an ultrasound.

Patients are not just administered the exam but also educated about breast cancer.

"Patients are given a brochure to read plus a breast exam tag to hang in their shower. Then, each patient is given an actual breast exam plus instructions on how to check their own breasts," Miller said.

The breast exam tag is an instructional guide given as a reminder so patients will perform self-exams regularly.

Sample breasts are also available for patients "to palpate and learn what a lump feels like," she said.

Performing self-tests is important because it helps detect an abnormal growth or lump before any problems worsen.

"Many times an early lump will be found by the woman herself and can then be followed by her practitioner. Learning how to do a breast exam is the best way to do this," Miller said.

Women are not the only ones the health staff encourages to take advantage of the free screenings.

"Males are also welcome to come for the free breast exams, since they can get breast cancer as well," Moore said.

Pre-business sophomore Johnny Lee plans on participating in the free screenings for several reasons.

"One, it’s free. Two, my health is important to me. Early detection is key. Males can get breast cancer too, so you can’t be too careful," he said. "It beats getting a physical for the guys, and if we can get a female nurse or doctor, it doesn’t hurt either."

For more information, call (713) 743-5151.