Chinese leaders unwilling to move on

"Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek." These are the words of Dalai Lama, who the Chinese government claim is the head of an "evil cult."

The Dalai Lama has been deemed by China as nothing more than a separatist who’s not worthy of an audience with heads of state, and certainly not commendable enough to be a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.To showcase its contempt for both the Dalai Lama and countries which receive him, China has pulled out of a future meeting concerning human rights with German Chancellor Angela Merkel after the she met with the Dalai Lama last month.

Now China is lambasting the United States for awarding the Dalai Lama with what the communist government calls a "so-called medal."

Even though one would hope the tension does not rise higher than the current level of childish name calling, China has threatened disruptions in trade with Germany, yet could hardly make the same threat to the U.S.

Shutting down imports to China of German products – some $31 billion worth – may seem like a good idea for sending a message to Germany, whose import of Chinese products totals around $50 billion, and would certainly teach Deutschland a lesson in economic embargos. China, however, exports over $288 billion worth of Chinese goods to the U.S. each year. China could not shake off the loss of a powerful trading partner.

It is disheartening that China would be willing to step aside and allow a hostile government, such as Iran, in furthering its development of nuclear weapons yet beats its chest and expects the world to bend to its whims when concerning the Dalai Lama. What of China’s invasion and dominance of Tibet? Should the world turn a blind eye to China’s stranglehold and the defiance of its own accord with Tibet, which allows Tibet to remain sovereign on paper but controlling it with an iron fist?

The Dalai Lama wouldn’t have been a leader in exile had Chinese rulers not taken over the country and implemented its will over Tibetans, who were a peaceful people prior to the Chinese invasion.

Those countries today choose to either meet with the Dalai Lama or even honor him, which should show China that the world views him as a leader.

Tibetans have not been allowed to set foot in their homeland for almost five decades. Even if allowed to return they would face the same treatment as their fellow countrymen who have remained in Tibet – arrested, imprisoned, tortured, and even death – all for doing nothing more than seeking to oust their ruthless foreign rulers.

More countries in the world should publicly receive and honor the Dalai Lama. Since United Nations resolutions condemning China’s pitiless treatment of the Tibetan people have done nothing to change Chinese policy in Tibet, perhaps a global stance in validating the Dalai Lama as the emissary of his people can bring about a positive and peaceful change.

Were China to get to know more about His Holiness, they would see he is someone who only wants to help. While the Dalai Lama may be willing to forgive and forget, Chinese leaders are not so willing to move on. The chinese government is not prepared to accept the Dalai Lama as a leader; this would force China to reconsider Tibet and eventually free it from Chinese rule, thereby admitting its occupation was unjust from the outset.

The Dalai Lama will have to continue to be a leader in absentia, and the world will have to brace itself for Chinese retributions to global accolades heaped onto His Holiness.

Lopez, an English senior, can be reached via [email protected]