Honeybees cause buzz on campus

University Plant Operations found itself in a sticky situation Wednesday.

A hive of honeybees was removed from the southeastern exterior wall of the Cullen College of Engineering Building after honey was discovered seeping from the area about three weeks ago.

Bee removal consultant Mike Knuckey said he was called by Plant Operations to evaluate the situation approximately a week ago and estimated the hive population ranged between 80,000 and 100,000 bees.

"Based on the coloration and texture of the hive it’s been up there for at least two years," Knuckey said. "I would estimate a good nine gallons of honey and honey comb were there, and the quality of the honey is excellent."

Using a cherry picker to reach the hive, Knuckey and UH groundskeeper Jose Perez removed bricks from the third floor exterior wall, creating a rectangular gap about seven to eight feet long and 20 inches wide. They then smoked the bees out and placed them in four buckets filled with honey and honeycomb.

Alex Alexander, Plant Operations director of Custodial and Grounds, said honey was found along the outside wall and small amounts of wax were found in light fixtures in the building in August.

The University did not take action sooner because officials thought the honey was coming from a hive outside the building.

Alexander said the bee removal consultant did not want the bees to be harmed.

"We need the bees," Alexander said. "Without the bees, we don’t get the pollination."

The removal took almost seven hours, beginning at about 8:30 a.m. and ending at about 3:15 p.m. The removal will ensure the bees will not return to the building, he said.

"The advice we’ve been given is we’ll leave the building open some days, and other bee populations will come into that opening, and they will take what honey is left," Alexander said.

The building was not closed during the removal because of the low risk involved, Alexander said, although if the situation had become dangerous the area would have been restricted to bystanders. During the removal, an approximate 15-foot area was closed off to the public, including part of the sidewalk and five parking spaces.

Infestations have occurred in other buildings, such as the Science and Engineering Annex, although the incidents have been minor, Alexander said, noting that none had been as big.

Once the honeycomb was removed, the remaining bees were vacuumed – a technique that is humane and would not harm the bees, Alexander said.

Ideally, a new location for the bees would be found on campus away from heavy pedestrian traffic. Alexander did not specify a location because he did not want people to disturb the bees.

"(The bees need) any place where there are trees and flowers so that they can pollinate," Knuckey said. "Someplace close to water."

Alexander said the bees would be relocated on Friday.

The honey remaining in the building will likely be untouched so other bees that are not from the hive can remove it naturally, Knuckey said.

Building repairs from the bee extraction may begin as early as Monday and take about two or three days, Alexander said.

Alexander did not disclose the amount of damage.

Alexander said he would try to find a way to use the honey extracted from the building.

"We’re going to try to keep the honey," he said. "I’m not sure what we’re going to do with it. We’re going to keep the honey, and we’ll figure out what we’ll do with it on campus."