Don’t just ‘rush’ into a sorority or fraternity

It’s about that time of the semester again: Rush.

If you haven’t noticed the influx of students wearing their "letters" or the flyers and banners advertising the events, perhaps you should pay a bit more attention.

The decision to pledge a Greek lettered organization can be simple because for some pledges, their parents, grandparents or siblings are members of the same Greek organization.

That’s not to say that a student’s family would ever force him or her to join an organization, but sometimes there really isn’t any other choice – many have heard about and experienced the ambience of an organization all their lives.

However, on the other hand, perhaps one wants to be different even though he or she has the utmost respect for a relative’s organization.

Obviously, one has to weigh one’s options. Look deeply within your heart and soul and truly ask yourself if this is the right organization for you.

For whatever reason one decides to pledge, one has to be sure he or she is pledging for the right reasons.

Joining an organization because it looks good on a r’eacute;sum’eacute; does not constitute a good reason. Pledging because your best friend, roommate or group of friends did doesn’t quite qualify as a good reason either.

There are more than 40 Greek lettered organizations on campus, each with its own specific purpose and values, according to the Student Activities Web site

While all are equally good and respectable organizations to join, one must find the organization that fits, which is precisely the reason for rush events.

During rush, students have the opportunity to meet and greet members, ask questions and become more informed about an organization’s purpose. The events planned during rush showcase what the organization is about, giving potential pledges an opportunity to see and experience the organization firsthand.

Though knowledge of the organization is essential, it is also important to interact with the members, to let them get to know you as a person and vice versa.

In any setting, it is important to remain true to your personality and behavioral traits. However, it is also important to find a common ground with the people around you, especially the existing members, and to take into consideration common interests, ideals and personality traits.

Pretending to be someone you are not does not improve the quality of an organization nor does it reflect well upon the individual.

After rush concludes, one must ask certain complex questions.

How and where do you fit into the puzzle of the organization? Will you be just a "letter wearer" or an active member? And can you uphold the principles on which the organization was founded? Do you truly exemplify the principles of this organization?

But most importantly, how will your involvement in the organization propel it to another level in the future? Will you remain active and help the organization grow as a unit?

These are the questions that one must ask before rushing to join the celebrated status and glamour of fraternities and sororities. It’s about time students paid more attention to the integrity rather than the glory and fun.