Couch Potato: Student Video Network offers full TV experience

If you are reading this, I can assume at least two things. You are most likely a student of the University of Houston and you probably have at least a passing interest, if not downright obsession, with the television medium. If this is the case, then I have some good news. Now is your chance to get in on all the action and glamour that TV has to offer, all while being a part of one of the most unique student organizations this side of the Beltway. UH’s Student Video Network is holding its Rush Week this week and all are invited to apply.

SVN knows that after class, you need a creative outlet and it offers just that – a chance to participate in student media and share your personal creative flair for all to see, whether that flair be acting, editing, shooting, writing, directing or producing.

I’m not going to lie to you, though. Your favorite spud columnist actually moonlights as a foot soldier of SVN – in public relations as the media chair, to be precise. The atmosphere at SVN is professional and fun, the people are friendly and it is a great place to hone your skills.

It is extremely easy for students to feel alienated and go through their years here without ever getting their feet wet, but it is high time for that tide to change.

Taking the time to really ground yourself here, to some degree, will likely yield a more fulfilling college experience and provide ready friendships. There is no reason not to take advantage of this opportunity, or others like it. Jump on in. The water’s fine.

And Spring 2008 is the perfect time to become involved because everything at SVN has been revamped this semester. The new studio is full of new people with new ideas. Even more exciting is the new program called KickTV, which is different from other shows in that it will be a product of the entire organization with valuable input from every single member.

Information sessions will be held in the SVN studio, located in the Campus Activities office of the University Center Underground and will be held throughout the week at the following times: noon Tuesday, 4:30 p.m. Thursday and noon Friday. From 4 to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, SVN will hold a general assembly meeting at which there will be an instructional taping of one of the channel’s programs.

For more information about the Rush Week, please contact SVN’s public relations director, Anne Yueh, at [email protected] or visit www.uh.edu/svn.