Sound Check: From Hip-hop to pop, the East Coast has it all

Mike Damante-The Gaslight Anthem

These New Brunswick, N.J. natives are steadily gaining momentum on their way to becoming the best new band to break out since Against Me!.

The Gaslight Anthem draws inspiration from some of New Jersey’s best, such as the sing-along punk styling of the Bouncing Souls and the working-class mentality and pure Americana of Bruce Springsteen. Honesty, sincerity and a relentless work ethic have put this band on the map in just a mere three years and two releases to its name. There is a heavy, steady buzz around this band, and for good reasons.

Its debut album, 2007’s Sink or Swim, sets it apart from its peers with its keen sense of soul and bonfire-storytelling techniques. The word is spreading as the band has opened for Against Me!.

Touring with The Loved Ones, The Gaslight Anthem has secured a coveted spot in this year’s South by Southwest music festival in Austin where the band is likely to turn a lot of heads. Its participation in SXSW is reason alone to make the drive to Austin, but if you can’t the group will play in Houston on March 13 at The White Swan, 4419 Navigation Blvd.

Immortal Technique

For those who believe hip-hop is dead, look no further than New York’s own Immortal Technique. Nothing is off limits from Tech’s lyrical assault: the government, hip-hop in general and labels trying to sign or change him are all in his sights. Ruthless in his rhyme and consistent in his cause and beliefs, Immortal Technique has the brazen swagger of Tupac and the clever rhyme cadence and word schemes of Eminem. He has taken the socio-political flag that was once held by Public Enemy and has waved it defiantly at the bling-bling commercial hip-hop that plagues the radio.

This isn’t "George Bush doesn’t care about black people," Immortal Technique makes protest music, but with actual research and a wealth of knowledge behind the words. It’s a shame his beliefs have kept him glued to the underground because he is talented enough to be the best rapper in the world with something important to say.

Roshan Bhatt-As Tall As Lions

There are only a handful of bands that truly amaze and inspire the first time you hear them. The first time I ever listened to As Tall as Lions, I was absolutely floored. These Long Island natives play a melodic and beautiful brand of rock, infused with influences from jazz, soul and pop.

Singer Daniel Nigro has an incredible range and is among one of the most talented songwriters of recent times. The rest of the band is an entity on its own. With unique song structures and abnormal time signatures, along with two backup vocalists who can harmonize with the best of them, the group can tackle many different genres. Not to mention, the band is nearly flawless live.

I highly recommend listening to the group’s self-titled 2006 album, and its most recent EP, Into the Flood, both released on Triple Crown Records. People who can’t find something they like about this band probably hate good music.

Envy on the Coast

Yes, this is definitely another Long Island band worth a nod. Envy on the Coast is a five-piece that is obviously a product of the scene its members were brought up in. I’m positive they have absorbed heavy influences of bands that pioneered the genre, such as Glassjaw. This young outfit has a distinct, energetic and highly addictive rock sound. With three vocalists and at times three guitarists, the band has a very full and frantic sound. Envy also has a very strong technical backbone thanks to members who have gone to school for music, with a drummer and three guitarists who thrive on complexity.

The band is on tour supporting its 2007 release Lucy Gray, which was one of my favorite albums of last year.

Also, be sure to check out the band’s 2006 self-titled debut EP. Expect big things from this band in 2008, as more people will hopefully catch on to its sound.