Fair presents health jobs

Students had an opportunity to meet with representatives from health-related industries Wednesday to gather information on possible careers after graduation.

"You don’t have to be committed to a major to benefit from an event like this," Undergraduate Scholars Program Director Sara Lee said. "It just gives you an idea of the jobs that are out there."

The Undergraduate Scholars program, previously known as the University Studies Division, helped bring over 50 educational and industry representatives to the University Center to a health profession fair.

"The program not only allows students to meet with representatives from different schools, they can learn about the admission process, applications deadlines and prerequisites," Lee said.

The annual Health Professions Fair, which started in 2002, drew approximately 250 students to visit with graduate school and industry representatives.

"I think our advertising has improved," Lee said. "This is by far the best year as far as attendance goes."

Undergraduate Scholars, an undergraduate retention program, set up the event for juniors and seniors to find advanced studies in graduate school while giving freshmen and sophomores a glance at available health professions.

Despite a few tables missing representatives, students were able to find information they were interested in.

"I’m finding everything I need," pre-pharmacy junior Amy Lopez said.

Aldo Andino, a pre-medicine Honor Society representative from Texas A’M, said that the organizations attempting to recruit students are there to assist them to earn a master’s degree or be able to find a job in the professional market.

"We guide students toward volunteer work, meeting medical personnel and visiting medical facilities," Andino said.

For more information about Undergraduate Scholars, visit www.usd.uh.edu.