Recreation Center celebrates benefits of exercise

The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center participated in National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day on Friday, allowing UH students to familiarize themselves with the sports and activities offered through the center.

Graduate assistant of marketing Melissa Shemenski said the Recreation Center wanted to promote healthy living and fun activities that can help along the way in its second annual National Recreation and Fitness Day.

"National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day celebrates the founding of NIRSA and promotes healthy lifestyles and fitness," Shemenski said.

Events were scheduled from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., ranging from weight lifting to martial arts.

Nutritional senior Oscar Perez, a personal trainer, oversaw a contest in which 16 participants had to press 80 percent of their body weight.

Kilmer Warren, 58, a UH custodian weighing 156 pounds, lifted 41 repetitions, winning the contest.

"Youngsters, get out of my way," Warren said.

Second place went to electrical engineering senior Tony Kim, who lifted 40 reps.

"Today we have personal trainers teaching people and giving free advice on proper technique and form for lifting weights," Perez said.

Adam Finney, assistant director of Intramural Sports, has directed activities at the Rec Center since August 2007.

Intramural Sports provides UH students with an opportunity to form teams and compete in sports such as sand volleyball and soccer, according to its Web site.

"Today I hope for some recognition on what sports we do offer and getting students more involved, talking to them to see what they like and trying to figure out what would be successful programs we could offer to get them more involved," Finney said.

The triathlon coordinator, Joe Schwieterman, gave students a taste of Cougar Cycling with a stationary bike. The club meets on Saturdays at its sponsor, Sugar Cycle, Schwieterman said. For more information visit www.cougarcycling.com.

The team also meets at the Rec Center and Memorial Park, Schwieterman said.

"We’re going to have a triathlon event coming in April. We’re going to post flyers around the campus like the library and the Rec Center here," Schwieterman said.

Aikido, a martial arts class, has lessons Tuesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Rec Center. By offering free lessons, anthropology senior Luke Bahar, an assistant trainer, encourages students to participate. Students can get more information by contacting Bahar at (281) 224-7144.

"We’re trying to get more people to sign up for the class and help the Rec Center and let people know there are sport clubs involved at UH besides intramurals," Bahar said.