The Original: Kidd’s trade to Mavs stirs up Dallas fans

For every sports team (and their dedicated fans), trade deadline is a hectic time that brings about a lot of talk, hope and anticipation.

Because it’s near the middle of the season, the rumors can be more exciting than actual on-court play because numerous teams are still eligible for the postseason, causing more teams to make trades in an attempt to reach the playoffs.

This season, the thrill associated with the NBA trade deadline was as intense as ever. For days, fans were checking the Internet to see where Jason Kidd, who had been unhappy with his consistently mediocre New Jersey Nets team for years, would be traded. Fortunately for Kidd, he got his wish and was packaged in a deal by the Nets, to a great team. Kidd headed to where his professional career started: Dallas.

The Nets are getting a sizable collection of players in return, including guard Devin Harris, center DeSagana Diop, forward/guard Maurice Ager, forward Trenton Hassell, forward Keith Van Horn and $3 million. The Mavericks get forward Malik Allen and guard/forward Antoine Wright.

The trade almost didn’t take place after Dallas’ initial offer fell through. Everything seemed set, until Mavericks forward Devean George’s no-trade clause stopped the deal. George turned into the NBA’s equivalent of a kicking and screaming child, and understandably so. No player wants to go from an elite team in the Western Conference to one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference.

As the George-induced stalemate caused doubt in the trade, All-Star Weekend was approaching.

The same day George decided to block the trade, Dallas had a home game against Portland. Instantly, George had become known as the "bad guy." Fans blamed him for stopping the return of Kidd, who was co-Rookie of Year for Dallas in 1993-94 and starred for two more seasons alongside Jimmy Jackson and Jamal Mashburn in a formidable trio in Dallas.

The anti-George sentiment wasn’t limited to Dallas.When fans turned on ESPN’s SportsCenter that night, they could hear in anchorman Stuart Scott’s voice how frustrated the normally cheery host was that George was blocking a blockbuster trade. Scott ruthlessly used his vintage "this player scored as many points as me" punchline to describe George’s scoreless night, and then showed a "lowlight reel" of all 11 of George’s missed shots.

The trade seemed all but over until TNT reporter David Aldridge announced during the All-Star game that a new deal was being negotiated. It wouldn’t include George or guard/forward Jerry Stackhouse, who was going to be cut by the Nets and then re-signed by the Mavericks.

Instead of George, former Net Van Horn was inserted. Van Horn has not played in a Mavericks jersey since their 2006 NBA Finals loss to the Miami Heat, but has remained on their roster.

After all of the confusion, the Kidd trade was finally completed, and after Kidd’s monster 12 point, 17 assist, seven rebound game in Dallas’ win over Memphis on Sunday, it’s clear that the man was worth the hassle.