Sound Check: Hip-hop artists revitalize genre; energetic acts get crowds moving

Mike Damante

Perseph One

Local rap act Perseph One could easily blow away the judges and the competition if she were a contestant on VH1’s Miss Rap Supreme. What makes Perseph One special is her unique blend of fast, furious flows, drum/bass inspired beats and an experimental vibe desperately needed in today’s hip-hop. An organic feel to the music immediately strikes a chord with the listener. This is hip-hop for the thinking man (or woman). The music is accessible enough to be played at your local art show but at the same time demands respect from the purists of the genre. While many female rappers are making songs exploiting their sexuality, Perseph One is proving emcees can take the higher road by making raw, refreshing hip-hop.

The Delta Block

It is great to see a young band equally motivated in its beliefs and music. The Delta Block plays a psychedelic mix of ’90s-era, Sonic Youth-inspired alternative mixed with the fury of ’80s punk. Listening to The Delta Block’s music takes you back to the time when the Dead Kennedys were making defiant and intelligent punk rock.

Comprised of John Newton (guitar, vocals), Dominique Withoff (bass, vocals) and X (drums). Delta Block plays locally at a feverish pace in any location they can. While all three band members are dedicated to playing as many shows as possible, their concentration on political activism and awareness is to be applauded as well. The youthful enthusiasm displayed at numerous gigs over its first three years as a band provides hope that the local punk scene is alive and skankin’.

Roshan Bhatt

Black Star

Black Star was a joint effort from two of the biggest acts in hip-hop, Mos Def and Talib Kweli. Released in 1998, the self-titled debut from the now-powerhouse duo is among one of the most brilliant hip-hop albums of all time and is highly regarded as one of the greatest lyrical showcases.

A notable fact about this album is both artists released it before either of them released their own landmark solo albums. The record is a shout-out to life in Brooklyn, wrapping up the ideas and lifestyles and present-day issues of the city into a neat package. If you have not heard this record, I’ll give you three reasons to listen to it: Mos Def, Talib Kweli and lastly, Mos Def and Talib Kweli. This is a true hip-hop masterpiece.

Girl Talk

If you ever needed to throw a party, you could probably get away with having Girl Talk’s Night Ripper or Unstoppable as the night’s only playlist. Gregg Gillis is a DJ and producer from Pittsburgh, Pa. who is arguably one of the best mash-up artists in modern music. His records usually consist of more than 100 samples from artists across the spectrum. On Night Ripper, samples from the Smashing Pumpkins to Boys II Men to Jefferson Airplane to Public Enemy appear throughout the album.

His shows have been known to flip ordinary venues upside down to giant dance floors, and he often finds himself surrounded by fans on stage. Seeing live videos of his performances on YouTube are enough to make me regret not being able to go to his performance in late 2007. For shame.