100 days down, many more to go

Thursday marks UH President Renu Khator’s first 100 days in office and the Student Government Association Senate is seeking additional student input during a town hall meeting Friday.

SGA President Samuel Dike said the idea for the 100 Days town hall meeting was pitched last week as a last-minute event.

"It’s an opportunity for students to follow up on their comments from the 100 Days Web site," Dike said. "I encourage everyone to come out."

The town hall will be hosted from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the in the University Center Underground, Mediterranean Room,.

SGA Vice President Jonas Chin said he approves Khator’s 100-day initiative and her way of reaching out to students by listening to their concerns through the Web site www.uh.edu/100days.

"It’s about ensuring that the students succeed and have all the support they need to succeed," Khator told the Daily Cougar in March.

Khator said two emerging themes of the 100 Days Survey online have been UH’s quest to become a flagship institution and student achievement.

Chin said the feedback from the survey would help UH administrators improve areas of the student experience.

"I’m glad that they’re really trying to understand the student perspective," Chin said.

The Web site will stay up for a few weeks to give students, faculty, staff and community members an opportunity to voice their opinions on how to improve UH.

"Access and affordability is the bottom line, we have to see how we make it affordable for students," Khator said of student concerns.

Chin said the town hall would help administrators listen to student concerns.

"The student voice is important and I’m glad Renu Khator recognizes that, and I hope students show up," Chin said.

The event is also sponsored by the Student Video Network and The Daily Cougar.