Student organizations present block party, concert

The Student Program Board, the Council of Ethnic Organizations, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. have teamed together to present The Block Explosion, a concert by R’B quintet Day 26.

Day 26 was the latest act on MTV’s show Making The Band 4 and its self-titled debut released on March 25 topped the Billboard 200 Charts.

"The reason Day 26 was brought to perform instead of a local act is that Student Program Board and Council of Ethnic Organizations are diverse programs that want to attract diverse crowds. Also, Day 26 had the No. 1 album in the country, so they’re the best choice," said engineering senior and Alpha Phi Alpha member Kevin Aigbedion.

The concert, which is free because it is partially funded by SFAC fees, will take place at the Cullen Performance Hall and doors open for UH students at 6:30 p.m. and at 7:15 p.m. for others. The performance will be preceded by The Block Explosion at Lynn Eusan Park. Student Program Board Historian Brittany Lewis said the block party will feature games, novelties and inflatables, and will be accepting baby items for Houston’s Children’s Charity. "The Block Party is a great display of how organizations can collaborate together to put on a spectacular display," Lewis said.

Free food and drinks will be provided, she said.

Student Program Board President Kevin Covington said The Block Explosion is free because student fees fund it, and said everyone is welcome.

"SPB works with different companies to bring diverse programs to the University of Houston. The Block Explosion will happen from 4 to 7 p.m. and everyone should come because this is a huge event, and though this is our first time hosting this event, it might become annual," Covington said.