Mike Damante" />
Sunday, September 24, 2023

Perry revitalizes pop with ‘Boys’

With One of the Boys, Katy Perry is way ahead of the class of wannabe fem-rockers and pop acts saturating the radio.

It is refreshing to see an artist such as Perry who isn’t completely manufactured, produced, pampered and primed for the big time like Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson were.

Perry’s sound is a simple mixture of catchy hooks, versatile vocals and mid-tempo pop-rock. The vocals on One of the Boys show off Perry’s impressive range, while simultaneously sounding seductive and vulnerable.

Title track One of the Boys starts the album and is a rock ‘n’ roll / pop hybrid, bringing back memories of No Doubt’s heyday. Producer and indie-rocker Butch Walker produced the track with his smart pop-rock influence to match Perry’s tale of her high school years, trying to be noticed as something other than "one of the boys."

Perry’s single, "I Kissed a Girl" showcases her strong and sexy vocals, which also exemplify the singer herself. "I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chap stick/ I kissed a girl just to try it. I hope my boyfriend doesn’t mind it," sings Perry; dismissing the innocent nature of sharing a kiss with another woman. The music video portrays the words acted out by Ken and Barbie dolls and is a huge hit on YouTube.com.

"Waking up in Vegas" is another song that shows Perry’s strong pop-sensibility sounding like a female-fronted Jimmy Eat World song.

Perry shows off her sense of humor with "Ur So Gay," directing a song at a boy who is "so gay and doesn’t even like boys." The song takes a clever shot at the clichedindie-rock guy as Perry sings, "You’re so sad maybe you should buy a happy meal / You’re so skinny you should really super size the deal."

What album today would be complete without a dance song? "Hot N Cold" explodes with a perfect dance chorus. Perry warns potential suitors not to be cheap with her heart in the ’80s inspired "If You Can Afford Me." Perry is confident but shows her vulnerability on "Self Inflicted;" singing "Every bone’s been broken, but my heart is still wide open."

"Fingerprints" closes the album. It’s a song about breaking stereotypes, that should fit in well when Perry (an unlikely headliner) plays Warped Tour. Katy Perry isn’t just another pretty face and I’m in love, as you will be soon too.