Leagues gear up for new season

Bail on Bonds

The Major League Baseball trade deadline is approaching, and it will be a benchmark for teams looking to qualify for the post season and bulk up toward a World Series run.

The big question is, what will happen to Barry Bonds? Bonds has been sitting in limbo with absolutely no interest shown from any team throughout the season so far. Is he blacklisted internally by the league, or is every team’s management simply wary of a player with such a tarnished reputation?

Bonds can help any team right now, and the bright lights of New York (Mets or Yankees), Boston and Chicago (Cubs and White Sox) would be an ideal fit for him.

The Astros acquired a quality pitcher in Randy Wolf from San Diego. Will a change of scenery help Wolf improve on his current 6-10 record and 4.74 ERA? The Astros sure hope so.

Once a Packer, always a Packer

The Green Bay Packers are calling other National Football League teams regarding Brett Favre. Even if Favre ends up on another team this year he will still be remembered as a Packer.

Beckham spices up soccer

Soccer’s popularity is continuing to grow in the states, with the quality of play in Major League Soccer improving each season and attracting some of the game’s biggest stars.

David Beckham is not enough, though. Each team must brand its star players well. It will be interesting to see how the much-improved U.S. national team matches up against the other countries in the next World Cup.

Gold standard

Remember the 1992 U.S. basketball dream team that had Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Ervin "Magic " Johnson, Charles Barkley and former Houston Cougar and Rocket Clyde Drexler? No team since has been close to replicating the prestige and class the 1992 team had, but this year’s squad featuring Cavaliers forward LeBron James, New Orleans Hornet Chris Paul and Los Angeles Lakers guard MVP Kobe Bryant should be favored to walk out of Beijing with Olympic gold.

Ice, ice baby

Expect big things in the National Hockey League from Chicago.

The Blackhawks signed goaltender Cristobal Huet and added prized defenseman Brian Campbell in the off-season.

Blue-chippers right winger Patrick Kane and newly named captain center Jonathan Toews should help restore respect to one of the league’s "Original Six" franchises.

The 2009 Winter Classic will also take place at historic Wrigley Field, as the Blackhawks host the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Detroit Redwings, on New Year’s Day.