Stadium could see new facility

With honor, recognition and a state-of-the-art future in mind, UH Athletics Director Dave Maggard will petition for the construction of an End Zone Facility at John O’ Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium at the next UH System Board of Regents meeting on Aug. 5. The $38 million proposal will build a 131,000 square foot, three-story facility at the north end zone.

"Robertson Stadium needs a lot of renovations and we need to modernize it," Maggard said. "Not only will the renovation make a statement, but it will also enhance the entire aesthetic factor of the campus."

The first level, or ‘Club Level,’ will feature about 800 chair-back seats and four suites that can hold 20 people each. The ‘Suite Level’ will feature 18 individual suites that could seat more than 250 fans. Fans will be able to lease the suites for three-year periods. The current suites cost about $15,000, and because of the modifications and updates, the new suites may cost more.

"So little has been done to renovate the stadium," Maggard said. "Every university has a very strong athletic feature and a very strong athletic feature builds a strong alumni base."

The second level will hold the football coaches’ offices, meeting rooms and academic offices. Once the athletics staff relocates to the end zone facilities, the existing football offices in the Athletics/Alumni Center will be offered to the University to use.

"It’s a win-win situation," Maggard said. "Not only will we enhance the look of the school, but we will offer the University much-needed space to do with whatever it may need."

The lower level will have a 5,200 square foot University of Houston Hall of Honor, giving tribute to faculty, staff members, leaders and alumni.

"Every great university has a tradition," Maggard said. "Every university needs a place to display and highlight those who have come through for the university."

To pay for the renovation, fundraising efforts have been made by supporters such as University alumnus Ken Bailey. So far, more than $12 million has been raised through these efforts.

"The renovations will help recruit more alumni, members, fans and contributors," Maggard said. "People will want to lease the suites because of the enhanced looks and will help provide even more funding."

Because of the renovation’s academic contributions, the University will also pitch in some renovation funding – the set amount to be determined by the board – and arrange a bond to further increase funds to be paid off over time by the Athletics Department.

"Anytime you have something like this, it makes a statement of the seriousness of the University’s dedication to their Athletics Department," Maggard said. "Just look at PAC-10 schools. This is just the first step on modernizing the athletic department."

Other developments of the proposal will include a team area with a weight room and offices for sports medicine, equipment and ticketing.

Pending the final decision by the board, the groundbreaking ceremonies will be held in January or February 2009 with a planned completion in time for the 2010 football season. Maggard will embark on an immediate and vigorous fundraising campaign upon the final decision.

"The Board of Regents already has a good idea of what this renovation will entail," Maggard said. "I believe this will be passed because of the many win-win factors that the renovation has to offer."