Step up your game, fans

Our football team is preparing for their 2008 campaign. With two-a-days, weight lifting, running and weathering the heat of the Houston summer, the boys in Scarlet are doing everything they can to prepare themselves for victory.

New head coach Kevin Sumlin and his staff are hard at work running practices and driving players to their full potential so they can lead the best UH football team onto the field in front of thousands of screaming fans at the home opener.

Our athletic program is not the only thing growing around here. Our campus is growing along with our student body and collegiate identity. Our pride serves not only an athletic purpose, but also an overall purpose that can propel a university into flagship status.

That’s where you, the fan, come in. What are you doing on August 30 at 6 p.m.? If your answer isn’t "going to the Cougar game," then my job is not done.

We have a job as students, fans and alumni to support our teams in whatever the contest may be. Seeing as football season begins in just over a month, I’d say we start there.

Our football program is on the rise, having won a conference championship and receiving three bowl bids over the last four years. I say they’ve stepped up their game.

The Cougars look to climb the NCAA ladder under Sumlin as they attempt to claim another conference championship and bowl bid, but your help is required.

The Cougars play four games this season that will be televised, two of which will be at Robertson Stadium. This is the 19th consecutive season that the Cougars will appear on television and the fifth consecutive year that their games are being televised at least three times. Select games will receive national recognition, appearing on stations such as ESPN2 and CBS College Sports National. Extreme expressions of school pride are recommended, as fan activity will be recorded.

They’ve given us reason to cheer. They’ve given us reason to wear our colors proudly, paint our faces and strap a UH flag to our backs. It’s time we really step up.

Robertson Stadium has a max capacity of 32,000. What’s it going to take to fill every one of those chairs?

How many empty seats do you want ESPN2 to pan across? If your answer is none, then maybe you’re starting to come around.

Let’s get out there and become the fuel our team feeds off. Let’s fill the student section until it’s busting at the seams. While we’re at it, let’s fill every section of the stadium, sending vibrations through the stands during every cheer, every sack and every time the band queues "Eat’em Up."

This isn’t just a game or just a sport, it’s a tradition. It’s a tradition absorbed throughout the entire campus.

School pride can be contagious. Let your pride support success and let your pride lead to victory on the field.

I’m sure this isn’t the first time someone has attempted this feat of participation and I certainly hope I’m not the last, but just the same I ask again you students, teachers, alumni and staff, "what are you doing August 30, at 6 p.m.?"