Guest Commentary: Religious center a haven for all

Fall semester is in full swing, and students are in the process of returning to campus life. Whether you’re looking to build up a r’eacute;sum’eacute;, network or just to make new friends, there are a vast number of student organizations ready to meet those needs. Those of a religious background may want to add the A.D. Bruce Religion Center to their places to visit. Most student groups based there are free to join and can offer the aforementioned benefits in addition to meeting spiritual needs.

For Jewish students, Houston Hillel proves to be "the foundation for Jewish campus life," both on campus and around Houston. The organization offers free on-campus lunches and tailgate parties for schmoozing with fellow Jewish Coogs, while themed Shabbat dinners allow Jewish undergraduates, graduate students and young professionals from all over Houston to celebrate the end of a busy work week. In addition, Hillel offers educational seminars about Judaism, such as a tour of Holocaust Museum Houston, a panel discussion on Jewish denominations and even a Jewish discussion on sex. With High Holy Days approaching, students are encouraged to try free services with Hillel to avoid reservation hassles and large crowds at local synagogues.

There are a variety of Christian organizations spanning several denominations. For example, the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship is an evangelical student group that hosts several small Bible study groups across campus. They also host a large worship meeting called Genesis, where students participate in worship songs, hear from different speakers on the relationship between the Bible and college life, ending with fellowship at a nearby restaurant.

IVCF treats freshman students to their Crossroads student retreat, spending two days at the Double Tree Suites in the Houston Galleria to party, pray and play. With past game events taking place in the University Center Underground, IVCF goes beyond prayer and study with fun competitions to connect to the larger UH community.

The religion center is also home to the Muslim Student’s Association, which has started the year with a whirlwind of activities, celebrating the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. Muslims around campus are invited to pray in congregation and break their fast with free dinners on Monday through Thursday while they relax and socialize. Educational events are organized throughout the semester for both Muslim and non-Muslim audiences, such as express halaqas after Friday prayers, Islamic Awareness Week and banquets featuring guest speakers. Moreover, the organization also arranges various community service projects: collecting clothes and other goods for refugees and feeding the hungry through Fastathon, a charity event taking place this month.

The coming Interfaith Dialogue Week, from Oct. 13 to 17, provides a perfect opportunity to stop by and learn what is available. The A.D. Bruce Religion Center is located next to Student Service Center I, behind the Roy G. Cullen Building. Whether it’s social connections, religious activities or just a quiet place to hang out, it has what you’re looking for.

Biology junior Michael Green, biology junior Norma Islam and biomechanical engineering senior Eric Reyes can be reached via [email protected]