SOUND CHECK: Sounds you’re missing

Drag The River

What do you get when you take rock musicians who previously played in acts such as ALL, Armchair Martian and Hot Rod Circuit and have them form a country band? Well, you get the alt-country act Drag The River. Even if you aren’t a fan of country music, give these guys a chance; this brand of country does not sound like Toby Keith or Taylor Swift.

The Fort Collins-based band tours and records only when time permits, since all members have other bands and musical projects. Some of the members also spend time at the acclaimed "Blasting Room" studio in Colorado assisting in producing acts such as Rise Against and The Lemonheads.

The songs all have a sense of story and specific subject matter. Straightforward songs aside, Drag The River is simply five normal guys playing stripped down country. You can say the music also serves as promotional material for Fort Collins, Colo. The mile-high state and the great outdoors are calling with Drag The River. Anyone want to play Oregon Trail?

Civet

Civet may look like Suicide Girls and sound like The Distillers did. The only difference is these women look classier and rock harder. This fem-fatale foursome channels fellow label mates Rancid and the Horror Pops playing Bay-area influenced punk. Even though the band isn’t doing anything that hasn’t been done before, don’t dismiss them as a novelty "girl band." Civet’s style of music fits perfectly on Hellcat Records roster.

Hell Hath No Fury is its latest release, an aptly titled record that is every bit as ferocious as the album title suggests. The album is full of tracks that fans of Rancid will eat up instantly."

One reason to give Civet a spin: they are attractive women with ink, not named Kat Von D. Reason No. 2; the members are simply good at what they do. Looking good doesn’t mean a thing, but actually being good is important.

Innerpartysystem

Innerpartysystem is the East Coast’s answer to The Faint. The group is the product of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll meeting electro and pop. The group will release its debut self-titled full length later this month, and it could very well be the soundtrack to a night out.

With slow and brooding songs like "This Empty Love" and "What We Will Never Know," there seems to be somewhat of a British influence, somewhere between Prodigy and Depeche Mode.

Its latest full-length is one of the most refreshing to come out in some time. While the overall tone is dark and sensual, there are many upbeat numbers, such as "Die Tonight, Live Forever," and "Don’t Stop." Though the band is signed to Stolen Transmission, an independent label with previous affiliation to Island/Def Jam, it’s only a matter of time before the group sees success.

www.myspace.com/innerpartysystem

Looking Glass Wars

On the surface, Looking Glass Wars seems to play generic and straightforward alternative rock that may leave you wondering why it was recommended in the first place. However, the group has certain technical aspects that set it above so many of the cookie-cutter bands that saturate this genre.

Several songs on the band’s debut album, The Musician, are filled with grand piano and orchestration, creating a full and rich sound.

If you were ever a fan of The Jealous Sound’s Kill Them With Kindness or Brand New’s Deja Entendu, then The Musician might just be your next favorite album. If you like what you hear, then purchasing the CD for a mere $7 on the group’s merchandise page seems feasible. Considering the fact that Looking Glass Wars is unsigned, the band could use the help.

www.myspace.com/lookinglasswars