Cabo tempts palate, spares wallet

Cabo, located at 419 Travis St. in downtown Houston, is a unique place with, as the menu says, "a spicy blend of South and Central American flavors with the influence of Yucatan and Southwestern spices." Affordable and nontraditional best describe this restaurant.

Upon entering, one notices it’s a large space. There are two stories with numerous places to eat, including an area by the kitchen on the first floor, seating by the bar with plenty of televisions and patio seating on the second floor with a great view of downtown Houston. Even better, patrons are allowed to seat themselves and a waiter will come to take your order.

Cabo is a great place to go with either a group of friends or a date. There are no worries about having to yell, as Cabo is quiet enough for normal conversation.

A restaurant is only as good as the food they offer, and this place has a variety of different items for the budget conscious such as homemade chicken tamales with chipotle mango sauce for $4.99 and the habanero shrimp for $6.99.

For those looking for something more substantial, Cabo also offers tortas, a form of Mexican sandwiches, with grilled beef, chicken or fish served on bread alongside plantain chips. French fries are available for those who prefer more traditional fare. At only $7.49 and $8.29, the price isn’t bad either. Salads with beef, chicken fajita meat or shrimp are also available to those looking for lighter fare.