C-USA rankings

Tulsa

(6-0, 3-0 C-USA)

The Golden Hurricane hasn’t shown any signs of letting up in their onslaught against opponents in conference. Tulsa remains totally undefeated in the league, and for good reason. It has made a habit of kicking butt and taking names.

Who cares if it had to rally to take out C-USA bottom-feeder Southern Methodist? Judge Dredd says every team will have its bad game, but the good teams still find ways to win during those lapses. A win is a win. Of course, the Golden Hurricane didn’t win over any AP Top 25 voters with their margin of victory, but they’ll take it over a loss any day.

Houston

(3-3, 2-0 C-USA)

It wasn’t just you. Judge Dredd had that "what the hell?" look on his face too when the Cougars found themselves with a 17-point deficit early in Thursday’s game. However, as expected, the offense awoke from its nap and commenced on opening up an extra-value sized Can O’ Whoop-ass on an overmatched Blazers squad. You know what Judge Dredd is talking about, the kind of can that can only be purchased at Sam’s Club. You know, the kind that requires the assistance of a Sam’s Club employee to carry – with a forklift.

Rice

(3-3, 2-1 C-USA)

Rice moves up a spot from the previous week. As far as the records go, it remained idle during its bye week, and that might have helped it out. During that time, three other teams improved to 3-3 on the season while ECU fell to 3-3 after a loss.

With the field so even, Rice’s strength of schedule gave it an extra boost over teams like UTEP and Marshall. Its next game against Southern Miss will be pivotal.

Texas-El Paso

(3-3, 3-0 C-USA)

UTEP just missed overtaking Rice for a Top 3 spot in Judge Dredd’s Super Awesome C-USA Power Rankings. Since the Miners kicked off their conference schedule in September, they have gone 3-0 and have a better overall body of work than the Owls.

Judge Dredd, however, will not overlook the 42-17 butt-kicking UTEP was dealt by Buffalo. Simply unforgivable.

East Carolina

(3-3, 1-1 C-USA)

The team that was supposed to be C-USA’s poster child continues to fall from grace. It has suffered three consecutive losses to NC State, Houston and Virginia, and that is the only reason ECU remains in Judge Dredd’s top five. Those teams have proven formidable opponents this season.

Marshall

(3-3, 2-0 C-USA)

Marshall is a quiet 2-0 in C-USA and is actually the leader in the East division standings. For it to move up in Judge Dredd’s Super Awesome C-USA Power Rankings, the Thundering Herd will need to win consistently against decent opponents.

Central Florida

(2-4, 1-1 C-USA)

The Golden Knights came up just short in a 20-14 loss to Miami, and will have this weekend off to prepare for a game at Tulsa. Given that Tulsa has one of the nation’s best offenses, UCF needs all the preparation it can get.

Memphis

(3-4, 1-2 C-USA)

The Tigers snapped their three-game win streak with Friday’s 35-28 loss to Louisville, and they’ll meet East Carolina in a crucial matchup this weekend. The Tigers need a win to avoid falling out of the race for the C-USA East Division title.

Southern Miss

(2-4, 0-2 C-USA)

The fans are getting restless in Hattiesburg, Miss. The Golden Eagles have lost three straight games – the latest a 24-7 decision to Associated Press No. 15 Boise State – and their chances of qualifying for a bowl game look bleak.

Tulane

(2-4, 1-2 C-USA)

When your stomach’s feeling funny, and your pants are hot and runny – Tulane Green Wave, Tulane Green Wave.

So much for any praise once heaped on this squad. The Green Wave are falling fast towards the bottom of the standings after being shut out in the second half of a 24-21 loss to UTEP.

Alabama-Birmingham

(1-6, 0-3 C-USA)

Fans still held out hope when the Blazers took a 17-point lead against Houston into the locker room at halftime. But somewhere near the end of that dismal 45-20 whipping, they had turned the TV off and were ordering men’s basketball season tickets.

Southern Methodist

(1-6, 0-4 C-USA)

Apparently, the hapless Mustangs can play some football after all. They threw everything they had at Tulsa last weekend, but came up empty down the stretch in a 37-31 loss. Still no win for June Jones in C-USA.