Lecture to explore carbon reduction

A panel of prominent guest speakers will continue a series of lectures to examine the effects of carbon dioxide and discuss ways to reduce carbon emissions tonight with Carbon emissions, capture, sequestration.

At the lecture, Darrick Eugene, attorney at Vinson ‘ Elkins, and Michael Moore, managing partner of Falcon Environmental Services, a division of Falcon Gas Storage, will examine reasons why carbon capture sequestration is important and consider the benefits of energy independence.

The Science and Policy of Climate Change Lecture Series, which began Sept. 22 and continues through Nov. 17, aims to shine light on ways to prevent and cut carbon emissions while enhancing awareness of global warming and carbon emissions Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions.

The lectures are lead by a group of guest speakers selected by futurist Peter Bishop, associate professor of strategic foresight at UH, and Barry Lefer, a UH assistant professor of atmospheric science.

The focus of each discussion is to educate people on the actions that can reverse global warming by paying special attention to ways of preserving energy and minimizing carbon usage around the world and in Houston.

The next lecture, Non-Carbon Electricity Production, will be delivered by Dan Cohan, assistant professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, and Vanessa Kellogg, wind project developer at Horizon Wind Energy, on Oct. 27.

The lecture series is free and open to the public. All lectures will be held from 4:45 to 7:15 p.m. on Mondays through Nov. 17 in the Cameron Building, Room 101.

For more information, contact College of Technology educational and production specialist Breatiz Arnillas at [email protected] or (713) 743-4637.