RUTH RECOMMENDS: Montrose drag offers pub crawl

For many, masquerading around the block in layers of face paint and plastic costumes loses its appeal after grade school. But thanks to the Montrose Crawl, Houstonians can trick-or-treat for drink specials and costume prizes this Halloween.

The second annual Montrose pub crawl will have more than spirits and scares on tap for Houston-area crawlers. Costumed crawlers of legal drinking age can vie for costume prizes, enjoy cheap drinks and participate in Halloween festivities at six bars along Westheimer Road between Dunlavy Street and Montrose Boulevard.

The crawl begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday with a dinner at Brasil, 2604 Dunlavy St., featuring dollar discounts for pizzas on the menu.

The crawl will make its way down Westheimer with stops at Poison Girl, Boondocks, Etro Lounge, Catbirds and Slick Willie’s Pool Hall.

All bars are within walking distance of each other, and responsible patrons can access them by bike.

Horror Business will perform at a tribute set for fans of the late American horror punk band the Misfits at 8 p.m. at Boondocks, 1417 Westheimer Road.

In lieu of candied apples Catbirds will offer patrons $2 apple kamikazes and DJ Mike will spin vintage swing, jazz and blues, to boot.

While crawlers are welcome to deviate from the route, costume prizes will be awarded at 7:15 p.m. at Brasil, 8:15 p.m. at Poison Girl, 9:15 p.m. at Boondocks, 10:15 p.m. at Etro Lounge and 11:15 p.m. at Catrbirds. Each finalist will get a gift certificate for Brasil.

The Montrose Crawl will come to an end at Slick Willie’s after midnight where a gift certificate from Saint Arnold’s Brewing Co. will be awarded to the best costume of the evening. The winner of the grand prize for best costume will get the opportunity to invite 99 of his or her friends to an all-you-can-drink Saint Arnold’s brewery party.

Houston City Council member Sue Lovell will serve as judge and pick the year’s honorary crawler.

A portion of all drink sales will benefit the Houston Area Women’s Center. The Halloween crawl is free and patrons will not be required to pay drink minimums or cover charges at participating bars.

And, yes, you have to wear a costume.

For more information, call (281) 658-1293 or visit www.montrosecrawl.com.