Team hopes for postseason play

It may not be a trip to the Conference USA Championships, but it’s still bringing the Cougar soccer program one step closer to its goal of making the postseason in the future.

Houston sophomore defender Jessica Rathweg was named to the All C-USA Second Team and defender Stephanie Derieg was named to the C-USA All-Freshman Team on Tuesday.

Rathweg started on the backline in all of Houston’s 18 games this season and helped the Cougars force their opponents into six shutouts, including the Cougars’ 1-0 win over Rice in their last regular season game on Friday.

"It’s a great honor to work so hard this year and receive that," Rathweg said. "I just feel honored to have it."

She also contributed on the offensive end, getting two goals, including a game-winner against Texas State, on 14 shots and also had an assist this year.

In the 2007 season, Rathweg played in 17 games and started 12 for the Cougars as a freshman. Her assist against Louisiana-Lafayette tied the second-highest on the team, and she finished the season with 21 shots, including five off the bench against Grambling State.

Derieg has made her presence felt in her first year playing for the Cougars.

She joined Rathweg on the starting backline for all 18 games and also led the Cougars with three assists and tied for second in the team with five points.

Derieg’s first career goal came in Houston’s 1-0 win against Stephen F. Austin when she scored on a 40-yard free kick.

The Cougars (7-9-1, 3-7-1 C-USA) ended the 2008 season on a high note with Friday’s win over Rice, the first time Houston has defeated the Owls since 2002.

"That was the perfect way to end the season," Rathweg said. "It (gives us) a great outlook for the spring season, and we’re all excited about next year."