Tuition hikes only add to debt

The price of going to college has skyrocketed in past years. UH has seen its tuition and fees go up by more than 60 percent, comparable to other Texas colleges such as UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board estimated the cost of tuition at public universities has risen more than 100 percent from 2003-2007 (in comparison, gas prices rose 144 percent during the same period).

While the cost has heightened, the quality of education has not. UH has sent out e-mails justifying the tuition increase by claiming it will help with research and improving classes. However this is not the case, and college becoming less affordable will only drive out minorities and lower-income students.

If tuition and fees continue to increase, it will be necessary for students to take out more loans. The average student leaves college with $21,000 in student-loan debt. This has been seen by previous generations and only contributes to the already existing debt that all of us are burdened with.

Along with the increase, the state will be forced to offer more financial aid, such as the Texas Grants Program, to help lower-income and even middle-class students. Passing out financial aid will cost the state even more money – with less money going toward other programs. In the end everyone, except for the colleges, loses in this scenario.

Deregulation has given all the power over tuition and fees to the board of regents at each college. This is very dangerous. The boards of regents are largely unaccountable and not elected by the people who matter – the students and professors.

The members of the UH System Board of Regents are appointed by the governor. Note that the most recent appointees come from Gov. Rick Perry, the same governor who pushed for deregulation of tuition and fees. Texas House speaker and full-time crook Tom Craddick said, "Deregulation was supported by every president of every state university in Texas." Of course the presidents would support this, because deregulation means more money for their public relations stunts and plush banquets. As for former Texas Southern University President Priscilla Slade, it can also mean more money for one’s personal use.

Times are tough for everyone, but it has been especially tough for college students and their families. In this economy it is ridiculous for colleges to increase tuition and fees for this year and the following year. We are all trying to make ends while avaricious college boards want to increase costs for all of us.

Students are sliding deeper into debt, even those without even credit cards.

In 2006, gubernatorial candidate Chris Bell had an idea to put the cap back on tuition and fees and invest more money in higher education. If the caps did not work, he suggested a complete freeze. Ideas need to be put forth to lessen the financial burden on students. Most likely it will be an issue in the coming session of the Texas Legislature. I hope Texas has learned its lesson from this ignoble experiment and will solve this issue before people are driven out of college.

Corgey, a political science senior, can be reached via [email protected]