Fat Tony pulls out the stops

Communication junior and emcee Fat Tony brings his fresh lyrical content and fast flows to the streets with The Tipping Point ‘ Fly 68 Presents Fat Tony.

The Tipping Point ‘Fly 68 Presents Fat Tony is a collection of new tracks, remixes and collaborations available as a free download. Some of an emcee’s best work is showcased on the mixtape – a type of a release showing hip-hop in its purest form. Mixtapes are a hot commodity like vinyl, a crown in a collection and usually have the artist on top of its game. This mixtape is no different, showing the skill that sets Fat Tony apart from his peers afraid to think outside of 97.9 The Box.

On the tape, Fat Tony raps over samples of Daft Punk, Master P, Busta Ryhmes and OutKast. In addition to his solo songs, the mixtape also has five tracks from The Bummy Teenagers, a collaboration of Fat Tony and Smash Bro. The Bummy Teenagers shine on "Invasion," with Fat Tony’s trademark flawless, flow trading off with Smash Bro’s smooth voice and rhymes. As a duo, The Bummy Teenagers’ sound is reminiscent of Aquemini-era OutKast, a style that is sorely missing in today’s hip-hop.

Regionally, the mixtape has influence from Atlanta, the South and the West Coast style. While the tape is stylistically all over the map, one theme remains constant – a positive outlook. From the remix of the popular "Love Life" to the opening verse of "I’m not the type to get involved in all that negative s-" on "Velvet Rope," this isn’t the hard knock life of hip-hop.

Fresh off winning "Best Underground Hip-Hop" from the Houston Press 2008 Music Awards, Fat Tony will be performing Wednesday at Warehouse Live with local legend Devin the Dude. The Tipping Point ‘Fly 68 Presents Fat Tony can be downloaded from Fat Tony’s official page, www.myspace.com/fattonyrap.