Distinct talent, style of ‘The Boss’ still strong

If legends never die, then Bruce Springsteen is living proof .

Working on a Dream is Springsteen’s return after releasing 2007’s widely successful and modern sounding Magic. ‘The Boss’ picks up right after Magic ended, putting together a collection of songs rich in soul and deep in story. Springsteen’s ability as a blue-collar storyteller never falters or comes across as gimmicky; the album is a reflection of who he is and his humble beginnings as a kid from New Jersey.

Working on a Dream is Springsteen’s signature mixture of soul, blues and straight-forward rock’n’roll. The album’s titular track and first single is an uplifting and positively haunting song that defines the struggle to reach one’s goals. The song, like most of Springsteen’s work, evokes hope to every listener and fan.

‘I’m working on a dream/ And it seems so far away/ I’m working on a dream/ And I’m going to make it real someday,’ Springsteen sings over a soft, guitar-driven melody.

‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ is a trip to folk-country territory that sounds like the song was born beside a river, rather than in a studio. Springsteen’s ability to grow and reach audiences is evident on songs such as ‘Life Itself’ and ‘My Lucky Day’, making many younger listerners realize why their parents loved ‘The Boss’ so much in the 1980s.

‘Surprise, Surprise’ is an upbeat, 1990s alternative radio pop song, which is still distinct in the Springsteen sound. As a bonus track, ‘The Wrestler’ is included on the album. ‘The Wrestler’ is the Golden Globe award-winning song that accompanied the critically-acclaimed Darren Aronofsky film of the same name.

There are some artists who craft timeless music that continues to be relevant, no matter what the era. Springsteen is one of those select few, and Working on a Dream is proof of a dream that still exists and is being chased today.