Troupe puts spin on classics

The Society for the Performing Arts will present the humorous Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo at 8 p.m. Saturday in Jones Hall.

For one night only, this troupe of professional male dancers will perform faithful yet hysterical renditions of classical and original works.

Pieces to be performed Saturday include Le Lac des Cygnes from Swan Lake, Le Grand Pas de Quatre, a recreation of an 1845 gathering of the century’s greatest divas and Majisimas, a tribute to the National Ballet of Cuba.

Founded in 1974 by a group of ballet enthusiasts, the Trocks have been selling out shows since their first performance in New York City. They have performed around the world and are known for their comedy as well as their talent.

With stage names like Minnie Van Driver and Irina Kolesterolikova, these professional dancers entertain audiences through their antics as well as their costumes.

The Trocks also use their talent to educate. By performing roles originally written for the delicate female body, the Trocks transform each piece substantially.

Instead of watching slender women perform gracefully, the audience is able to understand the physical demands that dancing ballet requires by observing the physique of the male body.

Other works in the Trocks’s repertoire include The Nutcracker, Don Quixote, and Les Syphides.

Tickets range from $20 to $60 and can be purchased online at www.spahouston.org or by phone at 713-227-4SPA.