Garden source of contention

A vegetable garden will join the scenery on the south side of campus as part of the University efforts for a greener campus environment.

The vegetable garden will provide organic produce for campus food services and will have many different types of vegetables, depending on the season.

‘In the spring and summer we’ll have corn, beans, and some tomatoes,’ said Alex Alexander, director of custodial services and grounds.

Some students think the garden will be a valuable resource to the University.

‘This will be nice for the school, and the money will be allocated for something better,’ Jaymie Allens, a psychology senior and member of the UH Environmental Club, said.
Allen also mentioned that the Environmental Club will work on obtaining a separate Zen garden space on campus.

This Zen garden will serve as an area of relaxation with a large pond area and a paved pathway where students can find a moment of calm.

She hopes these two additions to the campus will provide a better environment for students to enjoy campus life. However, some students don’t see the need for the addition.

Education junior Anum Ali said the University might be tearing down the basketball courts on the South side of campus to provide growing space for the new gardens.

‘This is stupid, a basketball court being traded for a garden?” Ali said. ‘I just know that they’re going to charge us for them to build that garden, and then charge us for the food that supposedly is better for us.’

The date for the garden to begin producing vegetables has not been confirmed.