Governor encourages research

Gov.’ Rick Perry made a historic visit to campus Thursday to award a $5.5 million grant to the University through the Texas Emerging Technology Fund (ETF).

The grant presentation included the acknowledgement of professor Jan-Ake Gustafsson, who brought his world-class research to UH in January.

‘We are celebrating the next big step in a journey that has taken the University of Houston to new heights,’ Gov. Perry said. ‘Today represents a milestone.’

The ETF grant will be used in large part as funding for Gustafsson’s research.

Gustafsson teaches in the Department of Biology and Biochemistry and heads laboratory research in conjunction with The Methodist Hospital Research Institute (TMHRI).

The announcement was made at a news conference in the UH Alumni Center, where Gustafsson was welcomed by Gov. Perry, UH President and UH Systems Chancellor Renu Khator, faculty and students.

‘Welcome to Cougar nation, land of the red,’ said Khator. ‘This is truly a historic day.’

In her introduction, Khator expressed her gratitude to Gov. Perry for his continuing support of higher education and for supporting her first 100 days as UH president and UH System chancellor.

‘I am truly honored to have the fearless leader of his great state of Texas who places education at the top of his priority list,’ Khator said. ‘It has been 119 days for me here and everyday has been a blessed day for me.’

Gov. Perry and Khator then posed for pictures as Khator showed Gov. Perry how to make the Cougar paw.

‘This institute is headed to the forefront and the horizon is limitless. The University’s involvement in the ETF is part of the journey to becoming a Tier I school,’ Gov. Perry said. ‘UH has taken a large step in that direction.’

Followed by thanks and acknowledgements, Gov. Perry discussed the accomplishments of Gustafsson as a world leader in research.

Gustafsson has received several awards for his study of hormones and is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the Nobel Assembly.

Gov. Perry stressed the importance of UH recruiting Gustafsson, who previously was leading research at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

‘You will never be embarrassed that you picked the Lone Star State to do your research,’ Gov. Perry said. ‘I am very confident that this partnership will be the ideal situation and impact hundreds of thousands around the globe. This is a great school, great city, and as you already know, a great state.’

After his introductions, Gustafsson thanked Gov. Perry and the University. Gustafsson then explained his research endeavors on nuclear receptors and the importance of the cancer research that will be part of UH’s partnership with TMHRI.

Gustafsson also proposed his plan to Gov. Perry to build research relations between UH and the Karolinska Institute.

Gustafsson’s speech concluded with Khator presenting him with a UH letterman jacket and teaching him the Cougar paw.

‘My vision is to build a research bridge between Houston and Stockholm,’ Gustafsson said. ‘The twin cities for cancer research could be built.’

UH System Board of Regents Chairman Welcome Wilson Sr. introduced Michael Lieberman, director of TMHRI, who discussed the UH partnership and introduced the TMHRI staff.

‘The partnership between UH and Methodist will create an unparalleled powerhouse,’ Wilson said.

Khator concluded the conference with thanks and optimistic words for the future.

‘This is a historical and monumental experience,’ Khator said. ‘I hope we gather like this many times in the coming years.’