Texas teams match up for cancer benefit

Wednesday’s swim meet between UH and the University of Texas isn’t just about state bragging rights – it’s also for a good cause.

Houston will host Texas in the ‘Sprint for the Cure’ meet, which benefits breast cancer awareness and research.’ The team is taking part in the event to honor volunteer assistant coach Jarrod Marrs’ mother, who died of breast cancer in 2004.

‘Our team has taken on breast cancer as a community project,’ said senior and team co-captain Sasha Schwendenwein. ‘What makes the meet even more special is that we are facing the No. 3 team (Texas) in the nation.’

The Cougars will have to contend with Texas freshman Karlee Bispo, who took home Big 12 Women’s Swimmer of the Week for the first week of February.’ ‘

After a 1-2 showing at the LSU Invitational Jan. 31, UH is 14-5 this season going into the ‘Sprint for the Cure’ clash with Texas.

Schwendenwein has also been tapped to compete in this summer’s ‘Universiade,’ an event that features the best swimmers from universities throughout the world.

Freshman Kimberly Eeson was also selected to represent her native Zimbabwe in the FINA International Swimming Federation’s World Championships in Rome. A familiar face, swim team head coach Mark Taylor, will coach Eeson.

‘I’m very honored to represent my country and the University,’ Eeson said.

While both individuals have big summers ahead, the focus remains on Texas and the ‘Sprint for the Cure,’ which takes place Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Natatorium.

‘(Sprint for the Cure) is going to be a great meet,’ Schwendenwein said. ‘It is awesome how Texas is coming together for a good cause.’