Origami folds to ‘Girligami’

Author Cindy Ng tapped into a gold mine when penning Girligami. It is the essence of what girls love -‘ pretty little things that they can claim as their own. But this book won’t just intrigue girls; women will find it fascinating and soothing.

If you are looking for a productive way to take a break, make a gift or relieve stress, then Girligami is the book for you. This book offers everything from ‘Foxy Pumps’ in small and large sizes, paper ice cream cones that look good enough to eat, Valentine alternatives, some recipes, tips, resources and best of all – 96 pages of origami paper.

Ng said the type of paper used by an origamist isn’t important.

‘You can be really creative with origami and there’s no limit to the type of materials you can potentially use to create a beautiful origami model,’ Ng said.

Origami originated in China during the first or second century. It became a sensation in Japan and is still enjoyed today by millions of people. Beautiful gifts, hanging mobiles, shelf d’eacute;cor and hidden messages are among origami’s many usages.

Ng said her passion stemmed from when she young and desperately wanted to wear high-heeled shoes, but her mom refused. When she got older, she realized she could barely walk in them. Frustrated, she then crafted a set of pumps from paper and found she could admire the origami without the risk of twisting her ankle!

‘Origami has always been a way to engage and connect with our dreams, memories and desires … all with just a simple piece of paper,’ Ng said.

Ng will sign her book at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston.