Prevent contagion with effective use of face masks

Wearing a mask to prevent the contraction or spread of illness isn’t just for hypochondriacs anymore.

Australian researchers have found wearing a common surgical mask can prevent the flu from spreading within households, Reuters Health’s Anne Harding reported.

The study, headed by the University of South Wales, was published January in Emerging Infectious Diseases, the journal of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

‘Wearing a mask is cheap and simple, and should be practical for families,’ USW’s Dr. Raina McIntyre told Reuters Health. ‘It does not require a visit to the doctor or a prescription; families can purchase masks from the pharmacy.’

If wearing a mask can prevent illness in a household, it can also be assumed to prevent disease in the workforce and the classroom.

Common colds and the flu can also spread quickly throughout campuses and workplaces, as many UH students, staff and faculty can attest.’

These sicknesses literally ‘go viral,’ disrupting busy schedules and lives.

According to the CDC’s Web site, one should consider wearing a face mask if you are sick with the flu and might have close contact with other people, if you live with someone with the flu (you therefore might be in the early stages of infection) and need to be in a crowded place, or if you are well and need to spend time in a crowded place.

The CDC also suggests washing hands often, using alcohol-based hand cleansers, covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when sneezing or coughing and avoiding crowded places or gatherings as much as possible.

While most people are familiar with these common practices, they are rarely put into effect. UH students, faculty and staff should consider wearing masks more often. Masks are inexpensive and can help one avoid a huge disruption to the semester.