Student art depicts urban environment

The Department of Anthropology is asking students to submit posters by March 2 as a part of its Urban Health and Anthropology symposium. Student posters should reflect how anthropology enhances understanding of health in a multicultural urban setting.

‘It is imperative that students be included in a symposium such as this one,’ anthropology professor Jerome Crowder said. ‘They need the experience of presenting their work to their peers and faculty.’

The Anthropology Department began planning the symposium last summer after noting the rapid expansion of urban areas in Texas. Texas is home of the nation’s largest amount of rural area, which represents 17.2 percent of the state.

The original date of the symposium in October 2008 was postponed due to Hurricane Ike.

The two-day event begins at 1 p.m. on March 6 with an introduction by UH Provost and Senior Vice President John Antel.

Throughout the day, panels will address topics of urban health in prehistoric and historic populations, health disparities and clinical trials. The event will culminate in a keynote speech from Martha Ward from the University of New Orleans on ‘Unnatural Disasters and Unhealthy Planning: The Lessons We’re Unlearning.’

Panels will address health and technology in underserved urban neighborhoods, chronic illness and gender, age and the urban body.

Following the panels on March 7, an open forum will be held for students and panelists.

‘ ‘We wanted to highlight the breadth of work conducted by faculty and students in order to contribute to the city-wide discussion regarding urbanization and the health care situation,’ Crowder said.

‘With Ike, we found that this theme became even more pronounced. Not only did we have to postpone our original date for the symposium, but the storm demonstrated the precariousness of citizen’s health and health care facilities in this city.’

As a member of the program committee. Crowder said the posters can be created in several parts in programs such as Microsoft PowerPoint and will serve as a visual representation of research material.

‘This will be students’ opportunity to discuss the issues presented in the symposium and get some advice about how they can address their own research topics regarding urban health,’ Crowder said.

The poster should not be text heavy and should include a review of research and a conclusion. It should include visual elements arranged in a balanced and aesthetically pleasing format and can include data tables and charts.

A table will be provided for each poster and any possible handout materials. Students will prepare a short presentation in order to further explain their presented research.

Featured posters will be exhibited in the Honors College Commons for a reception on March 6.

Posters submitted to TLC must follow the TLC poster guidelines and must be submitted by March 2 to ensure time for printing and pick-up. Additional guidelines and contacts for the poster exhibit, as well as registration for attendance can be found at www.tlc2.uh.edu/anthrosymposium.