NYU protestors allowed to return , but no party is victor

New York University offered deals Wednesday to the 18 students suspended for involvement in last week’s Take Back NYU! protest.

In accordance with the deals, the students’ suspensions will end today, according to Washington Square News.

Students who accept the deals – and all are expected to -‘ will face a disciplinary review and other long term consequences, including the future denial of some campus leadership opportunities.

NYU’s motives and reactions are transparent. Officials are caving in to pressure from within their own university and from attacks on their credibility from across the nation.

More than 170 faculty members presented the administration with a petition Tuesday, calling for the suspensions to be revoked.

‘If there is disciplinary action, it should follow – not precede – fair hearings, in which both sides are represented and the faculty consulted.’ ‘hellip; We view the Kimmel occupation as symptomatic of a deeper malady afflicting NYU: a lack of educational community. In such a community, students would not find it necessary to take over buildings to make their voices heard and their ideas respected,’ the petition stated.

While it is just for the students to be reinstated, the denial of future leadership opportunities is hypocritical on NYU’s part.

It is unacceptable for an institution of higher-learning to reject potential leaders who have proven fortitude and conviction to make room for others who may fear the challenge of dissent.

NYU’s song hasn’t changed its tune. The lyrics are clear: more compliance, less progress.