Adapted plot depth captivates viewers

Along with Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, Alan Moore’s Watchmen helped re-invent the comic book in the late 1980s into a genre that could be appreciated by children and adults alike.

Now director Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead, 300) has adapted a story that many called ‘unfilmable’ into an epic masterpiece that, like the graphic novel before it, forces us to see superheroes and superhero films in a completely new light.

The year is 1985, but not quite the 1985 you may remember. The United States has won the Vietnam War and Richard Nixon is in his fifth term as president, but the key difference between this alternate history and our own is the existence of the masked superhero group known as the Watchmen.

Following a bill from Congress outlawing their existence, most of the superheroes gave up their alter egos and try their best to fit in with the society unnoticed.’ However, that all changes after the brutal and unexpected murder of one member of their fraternity: The Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan).’

His death incites the group back into action, thinking there might be a ‘mask killer’ on the loose. Its investigation, however, uncovers a much more sinister plot that could mean certain doom for a world already on the brink of nuclear destruction.’

As it is with all great films, Watchmen‘s brilliance begins with a great story. Being based on the most acclaimed graphic novel of all time, there was no doubt the material was there; it was just a matter of adapting it properly to the film medium.’ With its complicated narrative structure, complex themes and unique approach to the superhero genre, making a faithful transition from page to screen was no easy task.

Thankfully, Snyder shows an understanding of and respect for the material that allows him to capture the essence of Watchmen in film form without compromising story, themes or characters. In fact, the various changes made for the movie are arguably superior to the source material and certainly make for a more concise plot.

The cast wisely consists of unknowns and character actors, allowing the audience to become fully immersed in the story without being distracted by a famous face. The true standout is Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach who, as the name may suggest, wears a mask featuring a constantly changing Rorschach blot.’

His uncompromising, suspicious and judgmental worldview makes it easy to see why he is the one hero who refuses to hang up his costume even after being outlawed by the state. Haley captures this to a tee, completely losing himself in the role.

The appeal of all the characters is each of them has a unique view on the world and how to save it, which often puts them at odds with each other. No one’s perspective is more unique than Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup). Formerly the nuclear physicist Jon Osterman, Manhattan fell victim to a tragic accident that literally disassembled his body at the molecular level.’

Through a deep understanding and control of matter, he was able to reassemble himself into the glowing blue form of Dr. Manhattan. With the ability to bend matter to his will, teleport and perceive time in a way that allows him to see the past, present and future all at once, he is the world’s one true superhero; the rest of the Watchmen are mere mortals in disguise.

Watchmen, although exceptional, is not for the faint of heart. Featuring extreme violence, sexuality and adult situations, this is no Spider-Man and should be treated with all the caution an R-rating brings. The realism is its greatest strength, as it presents us with a reality where superheroes exist, but the world isn’t necessarily better off for it.

With the arrival of Watchmen and the recent success of The Dark Knight, the age of the mature comic book film is upon us. One would hope these outstanding examples would serve to cement the genre as capable of so much more than the stereotypical ‘BAM, POW, ZIP!’ of years past.