NSM sets agenda

New faces populate many of the seats in the Student Government Association Senate.’

Incoming senators prepare their agendas and get to work as the 46th administration of the SGA takes over Monday.

College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics senators, Andrae Evans and Amina Rashid, said they are looking forward to continuing the work the previous administration has already begun, and to finding new ways to reach out to the student body and deal with the issues they are faced with.

Sen. Evans begins his second term in SGA after being in office for just two months for his first.’

He said his agenda includes increasing NSM students’ access to printers, continuing support of student organizations around campus and instituting a NSM college council.

‘I break my agenda into two parts. One is things that are actually going to happen that are going to be good services for the students,’Evans said. ‘Another thing is to get more support to the student organizations.’

Evans is working on the creation of a NSM college council. The network of UH college councils will work as student government is centralized in particular colleges. These councils will focus solely on issues within their respective college.

As he starts his second term, Evans said he’s proud of what he has already accomplished as a member of the SGA, such as prompting PeopleSoft to include the students’ booklists and syllabuses for each class as part of its registration information.’

Sen. Rashid said she became a senator by chance, after her party leader and vice president hopeful Prince Wilson approached her and asked her to get involved.’

Rashid said the main issues she wants to work on as senator include security, parking, academic excellence, health care and NSM tutoring programs.

‘For me a big thing is tutoring,’ Rashid said. ‘That is one thing I really want to see change in my college. There is some, but not enough. I don’t think we have nearly enough resources that the students can use.’

Rashid said she wants to expand the health care accessible to students, as well as expanding the health resources such as screenings and tests. She said she also wants to make student healthcare more affordable.

She said she is working on ways to convince the student body to be more involved with student government.

‘Before I was approached by Prince, I felt that the student population was a little bit detached from the student government,’ Rashid said.

She said she plans on talking to the students to involve more people, and possibly setting up booths around campus to keep the student population updated on what SGA is doing.

The NSM senators said they want to meet NSM students and work together to improve their college and the University.’

NSM’s third senator Melissa Jean Howard could not be reached for comments.