UH’s prime festival could be best yet

Frontier Fiesta kicked off this week in lots 12-A and 12-B of Robertson Stadium.’

It is a student-run, student-led festival hosted by UH to promote scholarship, community involvement and education in UH students, staff and faculty as well as in the Houston community as a whole.’

The program is an attempt to showcase the diverse talents of the UH student body.’

Every year, a part of the University is transformed into a fully functional town called ‘Fiesta City.’ This year, that city is again located in the parking lots of Robertson Stadium.’

Frontier Fiesta features free live concerts each night, a variety of shows by student organizations, carnival booths, multicultural performances, a barbecue cook-off and Bake Fiesta.

The cook-off is the largest source of community participation at Frontier Fiesta. Categories of food include pinto beans, beef brisket, chicken, chili, fajitas and pork ribs.’

Trophies are awarded and in addition, cash prizes for first, second and third place are given. Trophies and cash prizes are awarded during a Saturday night ceremony.

A baking competition for cakes, pies, cookies and specialty desserts is also a part of Frontier Fiesta.’

Frontier Fiesta’s history dates back to 1940. While Houston was still a small dusty town, a group of industrious UH students began the festival of a variety of shows and concerts to bring together UH students with the Houston community.

Frontier Fiesta gained the attention of the nation and attracted stars such as Humphrey Bogart, James Garner, Anne Baxter, Kenny Rogers, and Patsy Swayze. In recent years, T.I. and Cobra Starship have attended. LIFE magazine featured the event, calling it ‘the greatest college show on earth.’

In 1959, however, Frontier Fiesta was discontinued. To the benefit of our University and the Houston community, Fiesta City was brought back to UH in 1992 with many new additions. Now in its 17th returning season, this year’s Frontier Fiesta has promised to be the greatest ever since its revival.

Frontier Fiesta is located at the corner of Scott and Holman Streets in the parking lot of Robertson Stadium and will continue tonight and Saturday.