Carribean Cougars get ‘irie’

From east to west, the Caribbean Student Organization’s fifth annual Cultural Xplosion will showcase a variety of cultures through an array of foods, songs and dances.

‘Even though we’re Caribbean students, we like to show respect to other cultures, and the best way to do that is a talent show,’ CSO President and finance senior Shane Best said.

The two-part celebration will run from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Thursday in the Houston Room, University Center, with an intermission.

Groups at Cultural Xplosion will represent Nigeria, India, Latin America, Caribbean countries, hip-hop America and more, Best said.

‘The program will showcase various acts such as singing and dancing in the first part, an authentic Caribbean dinner during intermission, and lastly, a finale performance by the Caribbean students themselves, Best said.

Above all, what drives most people to the culture show is some good fun and an opportunity to see cultures from around the world, Cultural Xplosion disc jockey Everad Neil Gill said.

‘(CSO) brought all these cultures together, and for me, being a bit older and in the radio business in the Caribbean community, it was just great to see these youngsters mesh and do something big and bring everyone together,’ Gill said.

Gill is better known as ‘Supa Neil’, the DJ of ‘Caribbean Vybz,’ a Thursday night radio show on 90.9 KTSU-FM.

‘Being in the radio business has showed me the great divide that exists within the community, and all these young people can get caught up in that,’ Gill said. ‘But this (Cultural Xplosion) is just another reason to show that there is a lot of (diversity) here and it doesn’t matter where you are from; just to show how much more you can accomplish when you are unified together.’

Student-run Cultural Xplosion is a great event for families of all backgrounds, Gill said.

‘It’s just a lot of fun with some good island food, and no matter if you are Indian, Jamaican, African or American – it’s just a lot of fun and I would definitely bring my family out,’ Gill said.

The event is expected to draw more than 150 students with media coverage from the Caribbean television network, Best said.

‘This is a united effort and we (CSO) really want everyone to come out and see what it is all about,’ Best said. ‘All of our ticket sales cover the cost of food and will also help (CSO) to fundraise for the next Cultural Xplosion. We’re really open to suggestions after the show, to know what kinds of things people like to see in the next show.’

Tickets are on sale for $10 and can be purchased by contacting Best at 832-646-5747.