LeBron meets Ovechkin, praises celebrations

Two of the biggest names in sports met for the first time as the NBA’s cream of the crop, LeBron James, met the NHL’s best player, Alex Ovechkin.’

Both men were a little starstruck, standing a few feet away from each other at first.’

Sounds like a great photo opportunity or a marketing gold mine for the NHL to get James’ seal of approval. Instead, the story was relegated to sidebar status on http://www.NHL.com.’

The Boston Bruins clinched first place in the Eastern Conference with a 1-0 victory over the New York Rangers on Saturday. Not bad for a team many predicted would miss the postseason before the season started.’

The Bruins received a breakout year from goaltender Tim Thomas, who has finally given the Boston faithful some hope in net. Thomas will be heavily relied on during the playoffs since the rest of the Bruins are young and lack postseason experience.’

Goaltending is the most important position in the quest for the Stanley Cup, and that position has been the Achilles’ heel for the Philadelphia Flyers year after year. Incumbent goaltender Martin Biron will not be enough for the Flyers to compete with the offensive likes of the Washington Capitals, Pittsburg Penguins and Montreal Canadiens.’

In the Western Conference, the turnaround is complete in Chicago, as the Blackhawks have made the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

The Blackhawks will be an exciting team to watch, no matter whom they draw in the first round, as young superstars Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews will experience the grind of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time.’

Coach Joel Quenneville should start Nikolai Khabibulin in goal, as Cristobal Huet has been one of this season’s biggest free-agent flops.