Late start not a factor for Olson

Lindsey Olson may have started her softball career later than most players, but it hasn’t slowed her down.

Olson hails from Saskatchewan, Canada and transferred to UH this season after a successful two-year stint at Galveston College. She garnered numerous honors while playing for Galveston, including Player of the Region for the 2007-2008 season, two selections to the All-America team and National Junior College Athletic Association Pitcher of the Year in 2008.

Olson said not playing competitive softball until she was 14 hasn’t diminished her love for the game.

‘I didn’t play it as much as everybody else, but I still loved it and wanted to play it at that (college) level, so I just had to work a little bit harder,’ she said.

During high school, Olson played in a summer league and with various club teams. Her performances with these squads earned her a spot on the Saskatchewan High School All-Stars Team, which led to a collegiate career in Galveston and Houston.

Olson had a lot of adjusting to do because she had spent little time in Texas before coming to Galveston College. Although, she chose Houston over Texas State and South Carolina, she admits it came with some trepidation. Cougars’ fans can thank southern hospitality for helping her get over that.

‘I was kind of hesitant about it just because it’s so far from home, but once I was in Galveston I definitely fell in love with Texas,’ she said.’ ‘I had never really been around southern people and the whole southern thing. I really like it.’

Olson travels to Canada every year and just accepted an offer to give pitching tips to an 11 and 12-year-old girls’ team in Canada, but she doesn’t think it will lead to a career in coaching when her playing days are finished.

‘I grew up playing in that program so I just went out and helped them with their pitching,’ she said.’ ‘It was kind of an honor so be asked to come and help out, especially being a graduate of that program, so it was real nice to go back and help.’

Olson’s playing time has increased as she continues to make progress in her recovery from shoulder surgery last offseason. After making her first two appearances in relief, she has begun to get back into her groove as a starter.

Olson pitched her first complete game as a Cougar, a 3-2 victory over Alabama-Birmingham, on Saturday. She worked hard to get back in the circle, but said her shoulder has not fully recovered.

‘I don’t feel like I’m 100 percent, but I feel like I’m close and I’m finally over the hill of getting back,’ she said.’ ‘My main priority was just getting healthy as soon as I can because we have been struggling a little bit, so I want to help out every way I can.’

Olson also had to make other adjustments to translate her junior college success to the Division I level.

‘I think that going to a ju-co was really essential for getting my skills where they needed to be before playing here,’ she said.’ ‘I (needed to) correct a lot of things and get into an appropriate pitching style.’

Olson’s on-the-field transition appears to be going well, as she is off to 2-1 start with a 3.78 ERA and 12 strikeouts in 16.2 innings this season.

Olson also hopes to continue the success she experienced at Galveston College in the classroom, where she made the Dean’s List.’