‘Wrath’ still the best

Star Trek fans in Austin were treated to a special surprise last week. Attending what they thought was a screening of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan turned into the world premiere of J.J. Abram’s new movie Star Trek.’

This was a brilliant marketing move on the part of the Star Trek team; Wrath of Khan is generally accepted as the best of the Trek films, and if the new movie satisfied an audience full of Trekkies expecting to see Star Trek II (which by all accounts it did) then it would seem the franchise is in good hands.’

Star Trek’s official release is nearly a month away, so before boldly going into the realm of the new movie, let us take a look back at the acclaimed second film in the series and examine how, after all these years, it still sits heads and shoulders above the rest.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan focuses on genetically engineered superhuman Khan Noonien Singh’s quest for vengeance against Admiral James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.’ ‘

Fifteen years after being exiled on the distant planet Ceti Alpha V by Kirk for trying to take over the Enterprise, Khan and his cohorts are encountered by the starship Reliant, conducting tests for the Genesis Device a scientific breakthrough that literally creates life from lifelessness through the terraforming of worlds.

Having suffered environmental cataclysms in the years since Khan’s exile, Ceti Alpha V is now an inhospitable wasteland and responsible for the deaths of many of Khan’s people, including his wife. Driven only by a burning desire for vengeance against Kirk for their predicament, Khan slyly hijacks the Reliant and seeks out Kirk to execute his revenge, but not before unlocking the secrets of the Genesis device for himself, which in the wrong hands could be twisted in to a terrible weapon.

Despite its rather straightforward revenge premise, Wrath of Khan features a layered narrative exploring concepts of life, death, aging, friendship and family. Also enriching the story is its roots in the original series episode ‘Space Seed’. Khan is a familiar foe with an established history with Kirk and the crew, as opposed to other Trek film villains who for the most part are introduced and defeated all in the same outing.

William Shatner also gives perhaps his finest performance as Kirk, who, while in the midst of a midlife crisis, must deal with not only the reappearance of an old enemy in Khan, but the death of a dear friend in Spock and the reconciliation with a long lost son in David Marcus, one of the Genesis scientists.’

Shatner is matched blow for blow by Ricardo Montalban as Khan. While exuding hate and insanity in every scene, Khan remains a sympathetic character to a degree but nonetheless a sophisticated villain whom we love to hate. It is interesting to note while Kirk and Khan never meet face-to-face in the film, their hero-villain chemistry is not at all diminished. In fact, it adds to the mystique of their rivalry.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was a perfect storm of success Trek has been trying to repeat ever since. The story, acting, special effects, and music – it all came together to result in what has become the gold standard for Star Trek films.’

In trying to replicate its greatness, Wrath of Khan has served as a template many Trek movies have followed (to mixed results), and Abram’s new film seems to be no exception. Whether it will live up to its lofty expectations and reinvigorate the franchise remains to be seen, but regardless, Trekkies will always have their first 10 films, with Wrath of Khan being the crown jewel of them all.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan

Rated: PG

Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Ricardo Montalban

Verdict: The crown jewel of the Star Trek movies.