Valis wins Hitter of Week

Infielder Jessica Valis was named Conference USA Hitter of the Week on Monday after a 12-for-16 week at the plate that included a five-game hitting streak.

The senior led the Cougars to a 4-1 record last week, which included a 2-1 mark against C-USA rival Southern Miss. She went 3-for-3 against Texas Southern in the first game of a doubleheader on April 21 and 4-for-4 when the Cougars topped Southern Miss, 12-3, on Sunday.

The award is Valis’ first of the season and fourth of her career.

Valis has a team-leading 52 hits and .342 batting average this season. She extended her hitting streak to six games Tuesday, going 2-for-4 and scoring a run during the Cougars’ 4-3 loss to USA Today No. 22 Louisiana-Lafayette.

Valis and the rest of the softball team’s seniors will be recognized during the Cougars’ doubleheader with Marshall on Saturday at Cougar Softball Stadium.’

The first game will start at 1 p.m., with the second game beginning shortly after the conclusion of the first game. The series and regular season will wrap up with a 1 p.m. contest Sunday.

Phi Slama Jama leaves Houston

Nike said it will release a shoe commemorating the 1983 UH men’s basketball team, known as ‘Phi Slama Jama’ for its incredible dunks.’

There is a catch, however. Fans in Houston will have to order it online or travel to purchase a pair.’

Nike, which has yet to set a release date, plans to sell the limited edition shoes only at House of Hoops Foot Locker stores in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York. Nike misspelled ‘Slama’ on the shoe, using an extra ‘m,’ possibly for copyright reasons.

Fans can view photos of the shoe at http://www.nicekicks.com/2009/03/nike-big-nike-hi-le-phi-slamma-jamma.